RE2Make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
    Theoretically, REmake style is just a given, but taking into account current day Capcom development teams, I wouldn't want the game to be remade today.
    Amen (unless I do it )!

Comment

Better get started then. Don't leave the fans waiting.
      Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I just need to learn a few techniques (for the GameCube as well) and need to find contact information for Paul Haddad

Comment

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
          With the capabilities of today's hardware and every scenario being created in full 3D, I don't understand why they just didn't come yet with the idea of making a RE that allows the player to switch between OTS camera and predefined static cameras. They could make both and everyone would be able to enjoy the game in the way they want.
          The hardware isn't the issue. Cold Fear on the PS2 did this many years ago and was a pretty enjoyable 7/10 experience, if not as polished and deep as RE4.

The problem is that each perspective has its own requirements for environment scale, player move speeds, weapon balancing, enemy balancing etc so you'd either have a game that was ideal for one perspective and not the other, or you would have something that would fall between two stalls and not excell in either.
          "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
            The hardware isn't the issue. Cold Fear on the PS2 did this many years ago and was a pretty enjoyable 7/10 experience, if not as polished and deep as RE4.

The problem is that each perspective has its own requirements for environment scale, player move speeds, weapon balancing, enemy balancing etc so you'd either have a game that was ideal for one perspective and not the other, or you would have something that would fall between two stalls and not excell in either.
            Yep. Looking at that Unity REmake of 2, the environments are way too spacious and the FOV is set too high. I really wish he had used the animations from REmake instead, the ones from UC/DSC make the characters look like they're moving way too fast when you're viewing them from a fixed camera angle view. The game itself is over in a flash thanks to how fast everything moves.
            Seibu teh geimu?
            ---

Comment

I need to do some investigations into RE FoVs. I always got the impression that 1-3 had the same FoV as each other, CV was alittle narrower than them and REMake & 0 was narrower than CV.

Comment

The first part of Lost in Nightmares can be played from both fixed cameras and OTS camera and it works fine, same scenario, different cameras. You can adjust depth of field, lens and many other parameters on a 3D camera to make it fit both game modes, no big trouble if you know some tricks of camera manipulation.

As for enemies and overall difficulty, I don't think it should be necessarilly meant to be balanced between the two modes, but some things could be adjusted for each one to compensate:

Old school mode:
                - Fixed camera
                - Assisted aim, no laser sights (critical hits merely random)
                - Tweak walking/running speed by a fixed percentage if needed

Modern school mode:
                - OTS camera
                - Manual aim with laser sight (critical hits rely on both random occurrence and your aiming skills)
                - Tweak walking/running speed by a fixed percentage if needed

Some things would be easier in one mode and harder in the other, enemies would be harder to spot in old school mode but easier to defeat because you can auto-aim.

And everyone would be happy, those who want a RE2 remake with fixed cameras and those who want the modern camera style.
                Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM.
                The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                  I just need to learn a few techniques (for the GameCube as well) and need to find contact information for Paul Haddad
                  Do you have a problem with me pal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	actor_1968.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	403898

Comment

The first part of Lost in Nightmares can be played from both fixed cameras and OTS camera and it works fine, same scenario, different cameras.
                    Yes, there are lots of variables that can be tweaked but that doesn't but there are going to be limits that stop you from excelling at each style of gameplay unless you radically alter the game itself for each mode.

And without balancing those modes, you will get players switching between which mode makes the current situation easier.

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
                    The first part of Lost in Nightmares can be played from both fixed cameras and OTS camera and it works fine, same scenario, different cameras.
                    It's been a while since I played it, but from what I remember, the first part of Lost in Nightmares features no enemies, when one does turn up it's a large, slow moving enemy with melee only attacks. Ontop of that, the fixed cameras highlights the exaggerated the scale and empty space needed to support a traditional third person camera.

As for enemies and overall difficulty, I don't think it should be necessarilly meant to be balanced between the two modes, but some things could be adjusted for each one to compensate:
                    And then you're balancing the game twice. That's alot more time & / or people required to create and test this.

and those who want the modern camera style.
                    But RE2 is mostly set in short, narrow corridors and pits the player against slow moving enemies that are closely spaced together. You're not going to create a satisfying third person experience unless you can significantly change some of the game to suit it. For example, Dead Space works by having fast moving enemies that could move up walls, giving them more room to move, even if they player had little space themselves.

Contrary to your idea that it hasn't been done before, games have tried to offer both fixed and third or first person cameras before and have failed. Cold Fear was one of them. And a few others, like The Thing, would randomly throw in awkward fixed camera sections as well. Metal Gear 2&3 were probably the most successful and offered alot of fixed cameras throughout and first person aiming, and this was brilliant when you were sneaking around and holding people up but fell apart when you had to get moving and see enemies off screen whilst stuck with fixed cameras.

Comment

And without balancing those modes, you will get players switching between which mode makes the current situation easier.
                      There's no need for a perfect balance, if the game with OTS camera is easier and some people prefer it because of that, or because they like the action shooter style, then it's up to each one, but a lot of people like challenges, and if the game with fixed cameras is harder to beat, then survival lovers and old fans would probably love it even more because they'd like the extra challenge, while casual gamers and action lovers can still play with the modern style.
                      Capcom didn't think about balance when they included the new "modern controls" for RE Remaster, and some people says the game becomes easier with the new controls, than even knifing is easy now, well, they didn't make the game harder to compensate the new controls, did they?.

RE Deadly Silence had a Classic and a Rebirth mode, and I think that was a great idea. Classic is just exactly the same game you can play on the PSX if you want the original experience, and Rebirth features puzzles remade for the DS touch screen, first person knife combats, as well as some item and enemy rearrangement. You had both playstyles to choose whatever you want, or play both if you like both, if a DS port can have something like that, I don't think a Classic and a Rebirth mode for a RE2 remake on modern consoles is something hare-brained.

It's the only way they can do a good RE2 remake (of course more things should be taken into account too) without half people complaining because they killed the original RE2 feeling with the damn OTS camera or half people complaining because games with static cameras in 21th century sucks.

And then you're balancing the game twice. That's alot more time & / or people required to create and test this.
                      Sure it's more job, but it's not like they have to make the whole game twice, and RE2 is a pretty short game, you can beat an entire scenario in within 4 hours at slow pace, and let's supose they can expand a bit some areas, still a very short game for modern standards, just like the first remake. That's quite far from making the game twice.

But RE2 is mostly set in short, narrow corridors and pits the player against slow moving enemies that are closely spaced together. You're not going to create a satisfying third person experience unless you can significantly change some of the game to suit it. For example, Dead Space works by having fast moving enemies that could move up walls, giving them more room to move, even if they player had little space themselves.
                      Just like RER in the Queen Zenobia (mainly in the first chapters) has a lot of narrow corridors and small rooms and the OTS camera still works fine, even if sometimes it has to get too close to the characer, at least I didn't have any troubles with that.

Contrary to your idea that it hasn't been done before, games have tried to offer both fixed and third or first person cameras before and have failed.
                      I didn't say it wasn't done before, I said Capcom didn't do it before, and I think it would make perfect sense for them to include something like that, considering they're allways trying to please both old days fans and modern gamers, well, that could greatly help them to achieve that goal if they make it in the right way. Others games might have failed, but if you don't try you don't know, and they're not afraid of testing waters in a lot of aspects, so they could give that a try at least.
                      The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by yurieu View Post
                        Do you have a problem with me pal?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9936[/ATTACH]
                        I dont know where you get the idea I had a problem with anyone at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X