No announcement yet.

Biohazard Outbreak: Japanese Server Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Dot, let me know about this DNAS defeating, its one thing I never really messed with to be honest

Comment

I'll fill you in on the details when I see you on MSN/AIM

Chris and I played another round of Hive and beat it handily. We melee'd the leech boss to death We started up a Hellfire game, but right as we were about to get the red jewel, my internet went out for 30 seconds, so the game dropped for me :|

Chris, lemme know how you did!

Comment

Sigh.

File #1 wasn't online in Europe, yet they had credits for Online programmers.
        File #2 didn't last that long, played that so fucking much, loved it to bits, shed a tear when the servers died.

And the BioHazards, I could spend $10 a month, but my parents would NEVER let me, shame.

Either way, the A.I in Descisions, Descisions is fucking retarded, one of them died by Tyrant, the other by a bloody BEE?!
        I would LOVE to play Outbreak #1 online, Descisions, Descisions, Outbreak and Beyond Freezing Point are way my favourites. <3

Comment

i think that was one of the worst decisions capcom ever made was turning off the OB servers (and not giving us 1.5 ) the people that never played online really missed out on the finer parts of outbreak..i just wish i played it more

Comment

No, the worst decision was not spending time and effort to patch the games and allow people to host their own servers to continue supporting it after official support ceased.

Comment

Well Rob, as I recall that really wasn't up to them. Capcom tried to get the code, but apparently the company refused? Sounds like a shitty contract that they entered. Basically, as I understand it, the company that was doing the hosting just totally left the PS2 online hosting business and pretty much took their ball with them.

Seems odd that they'd be so disconnected from that part of the game, but when you realize that all the recent online games Capcom have made have used third party tech to get that in place, its not so surprising.

I'll see if I can get some details about it, but the duder I talk to wasn't around back when all this went down.
              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-28-2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Yeah I recall, Outbreak 1 used some sort of network via SEGA's Access/Ace-TCP network creation partially based off their infrastructure on the Dreamcast, and that was one of the main reasons the PAL version never got an online mode.

I don't know as much about File 2's background, someone else here might know more about it, but as I recall Outbreak 2 apparently used something else entirely (at least outside of Japan anyway) which is why European Online support was okay second time around.

Capcom has since developed inhouse coding procedures for this sort of thing - including, as RE5 shows, the ability to host your own games. Thus there was a chance if some time was invested the whole thing could have been patched to remove the original network requirements with something else... but in the short of it I do hope they try another online title akin to Outbreak on the 360 and PS3 that isn't as cumbersome to operate.
                Last edited by Rombie; 02-28-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

The American online service was provided by Nokia who owns SN@P. I think it's bull they wanted to keep it going. They shut down file 2 months before file 1. Even though they kept file 1 going just long enough to sell a few copies of the PS2 RE Essential box set, which file 1 was part of. Then, what do you know, once the box set sold out, the servers went down.
                  Last edited by The_15th; 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

FFFFFFFFFFFF!!! Just happened ;(

Comment

well i guess i have to get this game for my collection if it still has online

Comment

Originally posted by The_15th View Post
                        The American online service was provided by Nokia who owns SN@P. I think it's bull they wanted to keep it going. They shut down file 2 months before file 1. Even though they kept file 1 going just long enough to sell a few copies of the PS2 RE Essential box set, which file 1 was part of. Then, what do you know, once the box set sold out, the servers went down.
                        Ahh... thats right, I couldn't remember it at the time, but SNAP is the the aforementioned network pack I noted... it originally stood for "Sega Network Application Package/Platform." And I had forgotten Nokia had brought it out and changed it to Scalable Network Application Package based on the idea that they could scale it for varying Networks (as Sega had planned with being able to use it on all gaming platforms).

But if Nokia was basically footing the bill for the servers and so forth for SNAP to run in the US (unlike in Japan, where the users were paying for the operations, and as Dot said Monster Hunter was the main money maker) it would explain removing the servers quickly if they felt were wasting money on it. Me thinks the original failed Ngage project may have played a lot in this factor.

Edit - video.... Gutting Dot... I was trying to work out what would happen (hadn't read the description till after the video had already begun) and then noticed how close your virus gauge was to 100%... so close...
                        Last edited by Rombie; 03-01-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Playing Decisions, Decisions online with a few of the guys last night was pretty crazy, as I never realised how much was going on in that level, having only played it Single Player. The A.I. really did everything, but having a proper team with co-ordination and set goals is really something.

I can't wait to play the End of the Road scenario from Outbreak 2 with you guys. It was always the best online scenario in my opinion.

Comment

Heres what Wayne is talking about. Our full run-through of Decisions, Decisions

Be warned, I went into character to make the play-through not boring. So you hear us all over the game.

Comment

That was hilarious Dot. Which character did you imitated?
                              sigpic

Comment

AHAHAH! i cant stop watching decisions decision pt.1 the best part is at 3:59

" WHAT ARE YOU DOING...BRO, WHY ARE YOU HURT!? such an embarrassment "
                                Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 03-05-2009, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X