Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
    Agreed; I always felt that Claire appreciated his company, but didn't really share any feelings for him.

While I would most likely wish such a scenario would be true and retconned, if any future remake were to happen, you can pretty much conclude by how Claire reacts to Steve's death in CVX that she did indeed "care" for him. *shudder*

Why did Claire have to get turned into a soap opera tool Capcom?

On a more positive note, maybe in DSC, she doesn't actually cry. The GC trailer seems to hint at this, but who knows. They still might be "meant for each other" by Capcom. Yuck. Hopefully not though. I kinda hope, barring Bionic Commando, Capcom has learned from it's past mistakes in dabbling in "love" stories with RE, citing Leon and Ada, Claire and Steve.

The best love story in RE is Chris and Jill, but that's because Capcom won't actually go there, lol.
    sigpic

Comment

• I hope Claire still cries! Whether or not she had any romantic feelings for Steve, I'm sure she still considered him a good friend. I mean just look at Claire's character throughout her three appearances. Claire has shown through her actions that she is a caring person, and one who acts with her heart on her sleeve. She would sooner throw herself in harms way to help someone she develops any bond with, like Sherry and Rani, and I'm sure she would have cried just as much if something happened to either of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
        While I would most likely wish such a scenario would be true and retconned, if any future remake were to happen, you can pretty much conclude by how Claire reacts to Steve's death in CVX that she did indeed "care" for him. *shudder*

Why did Claire have to get turned into a soap opera tool Capcom?

On a more positive note, maybe in DSC, she doesn't actually cry. The GC trailer seems to hint at this, but who knows. They still might be "meant for each other" by Capcom. Yuck. Hopefully not though. I kinda hope, barring Bionic Commando, Capcom has learned from it's past mistakes in dabbling in "love" stories with RE, citing Leon and Ada, Claire and Steve.
        I have to agree...the whole "3 hour true love" connections are so lackluster and sickening. Yes, you can form a strong bond with someone in a hellish situation, but that doesn't mean you're "meant to be". It's like people just can't accept that people of opposite genders in a game don't have to fall in love with each other.

Leon and Ada's 'relationship' is formed on lies and that they saved each other a few times, yet people think they have a future together. After which, Capcom tells us Leon is a playboy and easily influence by women. Ada of course we already know is a spy, thus no doubt uses her sexuality to advance her situations all the time. Considering how DSC will be played out this time, it will be interesting to see how the Leon/Ada events unfold. Hopefully Capcom will have cut the "falling in love" bits out and given us something a bit more realistic. In all honesty, I'm more interested in seeing how Claire and Ada will react with each other.

Claire seems to see Steve as an annoyance for the better part of the game until you get his whole sob story about his dad. She starts to warm a up a bit, and then he dies. Steve of course is a lonely 17 year old who obviously is thinking with his hormones. It's not exactly the stuff well written romances are made of. Making Claire fall in love with Steve is such a set back to her strong personality. It's good to show that she does care, but its sappy all the same. It also makes me wonder where people get the idea that Claire, a free spirited college student, should up and adopt a 13 year old Sherry Birkin on the soul purpose that Claire just so happens to rescue her.
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

• DSC is supposed to touch heavily on the emotional side of things, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few soap-type scenes. And if they don't cry, they can always resort to yelling out the character's name in a dramatic fashion - name a RE game that doesn't do this.

e.g.
          ADA!!!
          LUIS!!!
          MIKE!!!
          JILL!!!

I just now realized that Leon does 70+% of the yelling.

By the way, what's the big deal about Steve's "Claire is HOT omg!!1!1" tweet? It's not like he hid his emotions well before...
          Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 09-14-2009, 03:11 PM.
          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
            I have to agree...the whole "3 hour true love" connections are so lackluster and sickening. Yes, you can form a strong bond with someone in a hellish situation, but that doesn't mean you're "meant to be". It's like people just can't accept that people of opposite genders in a game don't have to fall in love with each other.

Leon and Ada's 'relationship' is formed on lies and that they saved each other a few times, yet people think they have a future together. After which, Capcom tells us Leon is a playboy and easily influence by women. Ada of course we already know is a spy, thus no doubt uses her sexuality to advance her situations all the time. Considering how DSC will be played out this time, it will be interesting to see how the Leon/Ada events unfold. Hopefully Capcom will have cut the "falling in love" bits out and given us something a bit more realistic. In all honesty, I'm more interested in seeing how Claire and Ada will react with each other.

Claire seems to see Steve as an annoyance for the better part of the game until you get his whole sob story about his dad. She starts to warm a up a bit, and then he dies. Steve of course is a lonely 17 year old who obviously is thinking with his hormones. It's not exactly the stuff well written romances are made of. Making Claire fall in love with Steve is such a set back to her strong personality. It's good to show that she does care, but its sappy all the same. It also makes me wonder where people get the idea that Claire, a free spirited college student, should up and adopt a 13 year old Sherry Birkin on the soul purpose that Claire just so happens to rescue her.
            Yea, as far as Leon and Ada are concerned, I think it works as a fatal attraction kind of deal, but *love*? Get outta here! RE4, in my mind, pretty much got rid of the "love" idea with their story. As with his dealings with Ada in RE4, Leon shows he's not an idiot given the fact he knows who she works with (Wesker), and isn't so trusting of her, even though she gets the drop on him in the end yet again in obtaining the Master Plagas sample. But I actually hadn't thought much about what Leon's and Ada's treatment will be toward each other in DSC. You brought up a good point Rosetta. It'll be nice to see if Capcom can actually make it more realistic, and even turn it into something compelling and dynamic.

And as far as Claire. . .it seems Capcom always has to settle her with "babysitting" another character. Now in RE2, it works great with Sherry. A lonely child wanting the attention and love of her parents(which DSC seems to completely throw that down the shitter mind you), but saddling her with a 17 year old douchebag that's simliar to a role in Sherry IS NOT how you bring out Claire's character qualites. As Rosetta said, it's a huge set back to the character because it simply turns her into a lousy receptor for Steve's little sob story they're we're all supposed to feel bad about along with her, when in reality, I think backfired and just makes the audience roll their eyes and grit their teeth and wince as Claire is *Forced* into being turned into romance fodder.

And that's pretty much all she was by the time Chris arrived on the scene. It's like, what happened to the kick-ass, free-spirited Claire that told Steve to Shut up! Make one wrong move and I"ll shoot! when he tried to pass her off as non-threatening, or that told Alfred You must be one of Umbrella's lower level officers if you are in command of a backwater base like this one!. She's not supposed to sob over a guy she barely knows because he dies. She's a Redfield dammit, not a damsel-in-distress. It's almost character assanation at it's best, and I sometimes wonder if it were intentional on Capcom's part so Claire wouldn't "upstage" Chris in the game when his part arrived.

Although, that may be just my preference since when I played CVX, I know more about Claire than I did of Chris, but Chris's portrayl in CVX sucks. He's as bland a hero as you can get.(but allota of the game, besides Claire and Alfred, suffer from those symtoms)

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post
            I hope Claire still cries! Whether or not she had any romantic feelings for Steve, I'm sure she still considered him a good friend. I mean just look at Claire's character throughout her three appearances. Claire has shown through her actions that she is a caring person, and one who acts with her heart on her sleeve. She would sooner throw herself in harms way to help someone she develops any bond with, like Sherry and Rani, and I'm sure she would have cried just as much if something happened to either of them.

Yes, she is a caring person, but as I stated above, Steve is more like Sherry II, but the problem with that is he's almost a grown man, not a helpless little girl(though Sherry certianly must have been a resourceful little brat to survive so long ). The original Steve comes across as an idiotic loser who's arrogant, and tries to play all alpha male, when really all he is is a whining pussy with a weight in gold of emotional baggage. Hardly appealing, nor dramatic(as I'm sure Capcom intended).

Though, to cleanse all this negative Steve bashing of mine, I really, REALLY gotta say, there's a great chance his DSC incarnation could actually make him. . .dare I say it. . cool(Oh God, hell is freezing over!). Igonring that ridiuclous twitter comment CR29 posted, Steve having an obvious adult male VA helps, but there's simply two scenes in the GC trailer that pop to mind. The great, bent-over Claire camel-toe scene is just priceless for words. Steve isn't just stealing a peak,(I mean, geeez, Claire is just basically inviting him too), but doing so while continuing the conversation, playing Mr. Oblivious. Slick, very slick man. Gotta love it.

This along with the part where Steve says, They killed my mother. .. then they took me is so much more compelling dramatically. There's real emotion in the deliverly(some nice angst too), instead of this mellowed out speech that almost sounds like he's just trying to get Claire to feel sorry for him so he can find his way into her happyhole.

Indeed, DSC Steve could turn out friggin epic folks. . .maybe(you never know iwth Capcom). Only the game, and time will tell. . .

PS: And as far as the original Steve is concerened, well. . .let's just say I don't think he should be living in happy fictional character land. . .

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Last edited by valentinesdead?; 09-14-2009, 03:53 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• I agree with the Claire and Steve side of this but, Leon and Ada is just classic. He continues to think she will somehow turn to the "good side" and stay home and cook for him. She obviously uses this as an advantage when dealing with him. It is kinda of funny and bears noting in the "Stupid things in Resident Evil" thread that even though Leon has matured and become a super agent, he still stutters like a bumbling fucking idiot when Ada shows up. And if you're going to quote the super agent do it properly sir...

"MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE"
              "ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
              "LOUUUUUUUUUUUIS"

EDIT: since my post wound up after yours, I'd say your are right about Leon changing his attitude about her somewhat but after the whole thing was over with it was like he totally forgot and was deemed retarded again.
              Last edited by Agent_Wong; 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• I think getting wounded is what turns Leon into an idiot.

Think about it: his "feelings" for Ada really started to show themselves after he was shot by Annette, and he seems more receptive toward Ada (his "part of me I can't let go" comment) after she stabs him in the leg.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell I'm on.
                A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                  It's not like it's something he wouldn't say.
                  That doesn't make it any less lame, though.

Comment

• I'm curious as to how they're going to handle Ada's "death" in DSC. We know the official sequence of events from RE2 is Claire A/Leon B, but there's no telling how much this will be tweaked or outright changed as a result of Leon and Claire being together for most, if not all, of the scenario.

If they keep her death scene from Leon B, it's going to be an awfully awkward moment if Leon and Ada kiss with Claire and Sherry standing right there. With any luck, maybe Capcom will remove that scene entirely. Or maybe they'll go with her Leon A death scene instead.

Comment

• See, I'm the opposite! I hope they don't change Steve much from how he was in the original game, because he's supposed to be the way he is. His character is really pretty screwed up, and his ideas of people and trust are skewed like crazy. What Steve really wants inside is clearly to be loved/accepted/not in that situation. He's also 17. So naturally he covers that up with the arrogant piss attitude, which you can easily see is just a coverup attitude with the way he winds up failing and showing that he's not as strong as he's trying to claim he is. That doesn't make him a pussy or a whiny bitch, that's just really just looking on the outside only.

His situation did not help that at all. He felt as if his father betrayed him and let that happen to him and his mother, yet at the same time it was his father, so when it came to seeing him as a zombie/having to kill him, of course it's still going to hurt. As a 17 year old Steve still relied on his parents, so having to deal with something like that would of course leave him saying "these guns are more reliable than any person" and claiming that Chris would never come for Claire.

He didn't want something like that to happen again, or as he put it in his own words, be disappointed in the end, so he forced himself to try to go in that direction. Which is why his attachment to Claire happened as quickly as is it did, because with all the darkness and crap he had gone through, Claire was that diamond in the rough so of course he's going to cling to the first sign of good/happiness that comes along. 17 year old males are very often NOT mature or considered men.

As for Claire -> Steve, it really wasn't so much babysitting like a Sherry deal. She was only a couple of years older than Steve was. A little more mature than him, yeah, but just because she's older and more mature doesn't mean Steve is downgraded to the rank of a little girl in comparison. Claire felt sorry for him because she had Chris, and she knew he would come for her. Just because she was trying to be there for Steve, maybe even show or teach him what she knew about that sort of thing, doesn't mean that. Anybody with feelings who met a person like Steve would cry if he died. Claire is a compassionate, caring person. She can be both that and badass and someone I would so make out with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yzak View Post
                        She can be both that and badass and someone I would so make out with.
                        That, uh, kinda came out of nowhere.

Comment

• I don't think anyone except a small minority expects Leon and Ada to settle down and raise a family. There's no doubt they have a bond and feelings for each other, Leon confirms it at the end of RE4, but given the nature of their professions, it's more than likely gonna end up with Ada dying to save him. It's a touchign act but it's the only "realistic" ending for them and their relationship.
                          Last edited by Becky's Butt; 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Becky's Butt View Post
                            It's a touchign act but it's the only "realistic" ending for them and their relationship.
                            They could always just go their separate ways (har har) instead. I'd say that's a pretty realistic way to end it, not that Capcom and realism have ever really gone hand in hand.

Comment

• Hence why i put realistic in quotes. Capcom kinda sucks at it.
                              And going their separate ways is boring. Just look at Degeneration for proof of it. Leon parting from Angela was painful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                                If they keep her death scene from Leon B, it's going to be an awfully awkward moment if Leon and Ada kiss with Claire and Sherry standing right there. With any luck, maybe Capcom will remove that scene entirely. Or maybe they'll go with her Leon A death scene instead.
                                Well there are parts where they split up aren't they? I expect that they'll split up in the labs and we get ClaireA/LeonB events.

Comment

Working...
                                X