Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course Leon smoked, he had a lighter, like Chris and Billy, who did smoke too. Typical (male) action heroes smoke, if you don't smoke you don't have a lighter, simple as that. Leon probably really had gum too : Americans always have gum, it is an old cliché, one that would certainly make Saddler giggle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sly View Post
      Of course Leon smoked, he had a lighter, like Chris and Billy, who did smoke too. Typical (male) action heroes smoke, if you don't smoke you don't have a lighter, simple as that. Leon probably really had gum too : Americans always have gum, it is an old cliché, one that would certainly make Saddler giggle.
      Chris never smoked, except in concept art and the uncut RE1 intro. I suppose you assume Claire smoked too because Chris handed her a lighter at some point? And there is absolutely no reason to believe Billy smoked.

And Leon's Japanese biography explicitly states that the lighter is a memento of his father, and he does not smoke.

The lighters in the games are mementos or keepsakes, they're symbolic in the series.

Who said anything about nicotine gum? He just said gum. Maybe he had a thing of Juicy Fruit for all we know.
      Uhh, you really missed the entire line if you think it's some other gum.
      Last edited by News Bot; 10-05-2009, 02:23 AM.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Chris never smoked, except in concept art and the uncut RE1 intro.
        ... so he did smoke. He also smoked in the uncut "sad" ending, IIRC.
        And there is absolutely no reason to believe Billy smoked.
        There's no reason to believe he does not either. I think that if he has robbed a lighter from his guards, then he intended to use it. But maybe he took it because it was shiny, I guess it's up to your personal taste.

Okay for Leon, you have sources to back it up so I won't argue.

Comment

... so he did smoke. He also smoked in the uncut "sad" ending, IIRC.
          Bingo.

sigpic

Comment

Okay for Leon, you have sources to back it up so I won't argue.
            And if his reason wasn't enough for you: are you forgetting that Leon specifically refuses cigarettes offered to him by the police officers who take him to the village?
            A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

• ... so he did smoke. He also smoked in the uncut "sad" ending, IIRC.
              But then you assume that the original RE1 takes precendence over... what, every other appearance of Chris? Not only the original, but the UNCUT version? Thats quite a diluted source.

Chris smoked in the first RE because Mikami at the time might as well have been 15 years old, and Chris was the typical "rebel". However, he is far from a "rebel" anymore. His history has been changed to remove any notion of that from his personality. He wasn't kicked out of the USAF anymore, he was discharged on good terms. Chris smoking is a remnant of his rebel phase which never happened.

Using the original (let alone the uncut original) as a source is pretty silly. It has little relevance to the series as a whole at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                Uhh, you really missed the entire line if you think it's some other gum.
                Silly me. Here it sounded totally like a random throwaway response but I guess we should read things into it anyway.
                He just said "got gum" Saying it's nicotine gum is just pointless speculation. Really pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
                  But then you assume that the original RE1 takes precendence over... what, every other appearance of Chris? Not only the original, but the UNCUT version? Thats quite a diluted source.

Chris smoked in the first RE because Mikami at the time might as well have been 15 years old, and Chris was the typical "rebel". However, he is far from a "rebel" anymore. His history has been changed to remove any notion of that from his personality. He wasn't kicked out of the USAF anymore, he was discharged on good terms. Chris smoking is a remnant of his rebel phase which never happened.
                  Well, there's an RE1.5 artwork that shows Chris and Joseph smoking. I know, it's RE1.5, but it pretty much means that, even after the original RE1, Chris was a smoker in the developpers' minds.

I think that, not showing the main character smoking, has more to do with censorship than with the possible personality changes. At least, in my opinion

RE1.5 artwork
                  Last edited by Grem; 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• With REmake, Chris was changed from a somewhat rude -TSBB- and rebel guy for a guy with high principles and values with a strong sense of duty... and a no smoker. Yes, he was supposed to be one on the beginning, but that was changed... even in Code Veronica, Chris attitude was differente. At the end, no RE character, male of female is a smoker.

As News Bot said, pretty much all the lighters and stuff like that are meant to be symbolic for a certain character in the series.
                    Last edited by Ridley W. Hayes; 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes
                      At the end, no RE character, male or female is a smoker.
                      The random spanish officer from RE4, Luis Sera and Javier Hidalgo are smokers, actually

Chris was changed from a somewhat rude -TSBB- and rebel guy for a guy with high principles and values with a strong sense of duty... and a no smoker. Yes, he was supposed to be one on the beginning, but that was changed... even in Code Veronica, Chris attitude was differente
                      Even today, Chris is a rebel.

He knocked a police officer in order to get a valid reason to be suspended from his functions at the police station (Jill's RE3 diary). He took actions on his own against Umbrella at the time of CV even though he was not a part of any organisation anymore, which is pretty much illegal. He then joined forces with an underground containment unit in 2003 and ignored BSAA's order to retreat in order to save Jill in RE5. Not a rebel anymore? I don't think so
                      As for the smoking thing, there's not a single element in the games that proves Chris became a non smoker. So, when I see all these pictures showing Chris smoking, even if it concerns the original RE, I assume that he is a smoker.

Chris never changed IMO

Back to DSC, I wonder if Manuela will mutate? That way, she will be the tragic character for the new scenario, just like Steve is for the CV scenario for instance.
                      Last edited by Grem; 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• ^This.
                        Using the original (let alone the uncut original) as a source is pretty silly. It has little relevance to the series as a whole at this point.
                        Saying that an information that's never been refuted up until now, as far as we know, is wrong just because you feel like it's not relevant anymore... that's what I find silly.
                        Last edited by Sly; 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Becky's Butt View Post
                          Silly me. Here it sounded totally like a random throwaway response but I guess we should read things into it anyway.
                          He just said "got gum" Saying it's nicotine gum is just pointless speculation. Really pointless.
                          Saying its not nicotine gum is just pointless speculation. Really pointless.

He might as well say DURR GOT A CARROT instead going by your logic.

Saying that an information that's never been refuted up until now, as far as we know, is wrong just because you feel like it's not relevant anymore... that's what I find silly.
                          Right I assume you take the original game over the REmake then.
                          Last edited by News Bot; 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Of course not, but never did the remake refute the fact that Chris was a smoker. Sure, he doesn't smoke anymore in front of the player, but now he starts the game with a lighter. This is obviously linked to his former bad habit. Unless you can again prove that some guidebook states that it's a keepsake from his uncle and that Chris would actually never dare light a cigarette because mommy told him it's bad.
                            He might as well say DURR GOT A CARROT instead going by your logic.
                            Some people happen to chew regular gum when they want to smoke, so that their mouth is busy chewing on something rather than inhaling smoke. So I don't think it's illogical. A carrot might work too, but would not be as efficient I'm afraid. =p

Comment

• but now he starts the game with a lighter.
                              So do Claire, Leon and Billy. None of them are seen to so much as mention or ***** a cigarette (aside from Leon's smartass remark).

Whether the characters smoke or not is irrelevant. But if they aren't shown to do it, then they don't do it. Plain and simple.

"When I was a kid, my family was involved in crime, which left them all dead."

The above incident is probably why Leon became a police officer. His individual reaction to the above-mentioned incident is, "By becoming a police officer I will save as many people as possible, even alone." That is the reason.

But before being hired by the police, he splits up with his sweetheart of the land, which he lived with and is in uproar to stay together, before finally separating the day before and deciding to move ahead...

After all, having split up the previous day he travels to Raccoon City with all-night vigil prepared for the barrel.

However, in the middle of wild drinking at the motel (the ^ ^; passes out during the occurrence in the early afternoon of the day) (the ^ ^; precipitously the uniform has been provided as a change of clothes) on the way to Raccoon City, unable to contact the R.P.D. is puzzling and arrives at night, which...

Thanks to being late... His destiny is largely changed (maniacal laughter).

The lighter he carries is a remembrance of his father. It reminds him of his father and gives rise to courage.

By the way, he is not a cigarette smoker, and thinks it's [katsukoii]. He favors Brandy. However, the drink is expensive. On holidays he turns off the lights and quietly watches movies alone. His favorite title is "French Connection".

1998/09/30
                              After escaping from the underground laboratory in Raccoon City, despite his debilitating injuries and Sherry's weakening, Leon told Claire, "Go find your brother" and that is the reason he remained in the United States.

However, because too much of the truth is known, both people are detained by a U.S. government Information Agency officer. When they are approached, in order to guarantee Sherry's safety, he cooperates instead of being forced to... The reason why Leon has become an officer.
                              Last edited by News Bot; 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Chris is shown to do it (twice), so he does/did smoke. Plain and simple. Remake never contradicts this fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X