No announcement yet.

Losing interest in the series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol shareholders to companies never wanted returns until RE4 came out.

What Capcom did (ie. port games) makes good business sense - and I can't fault them for that.

At the time CV:X was ported I thought there'd be a benefit exposing Resident Evil to a larger audience of people - more fans would mean more games right? Although I enjoyed RE4 quite alot, I probably should have been more careful with what I wished for, but Mikami instituted the changes in 4 himself - and I'm sure his bosses and the board were very happy with his handiwork. I wonder what they thought of all the scrapped itterations of the game though.
    sigpic

Comment

• After RE5 my interest in the series really started to diminish. I guess it's because there was finally closure (albeit a seemingly rushed and lazy end to what could have been something amazing) to the Chris/Wesker story arc.

After I completed 5, I slowly stopped checking for news updates, I never played Umbrella Chronicles 2 and don't really plan on playing any of the upcoming titles.

I do feel sad that my interest in the series has come to such an end, after all, it has been my world for almost 15 years now. I lived and breathed Resident Evil. But alas, times change.

I suspect I have come to the end of what has been one hell of a Survival Horror journey. In a way it feels good. I don't regret spending so much time playing the games, obsessing over every little story detail or falling to sleep while playing the save room theme on repeat at night.

I'm sure a decade or so down the road I'll revisit the old mansion, obtain a rusted crank or two and think back on all the great times I had playing such a wonderful game.

Comment

• People forget that Capcom had been pushing a more multiformat approach as soon as the PlayStation's challengers and successors started to line up in the late 90's, one of the key reasons Code Veronica happened to begin with. Even if a director was not happy about a port taking place, someone in place as a general division manager will be focusing on the bottom line returns and what platforms are suitable for any given project.

Here is an example of a 2001 E3 interview with Yoshiki Okamoto talking, as then General Manager of Capcom's gaming production, about how the company was looking at their line up - this was in the peak of RE on Gamecube, and yet their general view was providing content to other platforms.

Comment

• The GameCube only had the NUMERIC series. This because Mikami wanted to 'restart' the series there. That was his agenda at the time.

However, Capcom had other ideas. Because it made sense for them to listen to the shareholders and not cater to the needs of an eccentric game maker.

They made a choice that benefited them... and Mikami ended up making his own choice as well.

Presently it has worked out fine for both of them.

Capcom has a cashcow that makes their shareholders happy. And Mikami can make the games he wants. Beautiful.
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
            Right, because we didn't just finish saying how they originally did it with RE: CV.
            well code veronica was understandable because dreamcast was on its way out anyway.
            sigpic
            www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

• Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
              noooooo.I watched E3 2010 and he specifically said that he wanted to have Revelations go back into the survival horror atmosphere.he even mentioned searching under furniture and solving puzzeles.
              He said something completely different. If anything, Inafune's comments at E3 2010 made it look like more of RE4 and RE5, with "zombie hordes [coming] at you with more behind it". The genre was not revealed to be survival horror until September 2010, shortly before he left. Inafune was the head of Capcom's R&D Management Group, so he obviously knew what the individual teams were up to. But this does not change the fact that he was completely uninvolved with the actual development of any Resident Evil game. He just produced and promoted, and even those tasks were handled by him rarely. He wasn't involved with Super Street Fighter IV either, which he mentions in the same E3 interview. Resident Evil: Revelations is directed by Koushi Nakanishi, so any praise and blame for the game is to put on him for the time being.

Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
              but anyway most likely the reason why he decided to leave capcom on dec,13,2010 is most likely capcom didn't to go back to Survival Horror and he did.So he took off.honostly i wouldn't
              blame him if that was the reason.
              This is complete and utter bullshit. The reasons he stated for his departure had nothing at all to do with Resident Evil. Your putting him on an imaginary pedestal as the defender of old-school Resident Evil is reaching ridiculous lengths.

And so far, not a single person from Capcom has implied that the direction of Revelations was changed back from survival horror to action, so I don't know where you keep getting that from. Hell, they did not even mention that the game would be a complete return to the original formula until December 2010, when Inafune was long gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post
                He said something completely different. If anything, Inafune's comments at E3 2010 made it look like more of RE4 and RE5, with "zombie hordes [coming] at you with more behind it". The genre was not revealed to be survival horror until September 2010, shortly before he left. Inafune was the head of Capcom's R&D Management Group, so he obviously knew what the individual teams were up to. But this does not change the fact that he was completely uninvolved with the actual development of any Resident Evil game. He just produced and promoted, and even those tasks were handled by him rarely. He wasn't involved with Super Street Fighter IV either, which he mentions in the same E3 interview. Resident Evil: Revelations is directed by Koushi Nakanishi, so any praise and blame for the game is to put on him for the time being.

This is complete and utter bullshit. The reasons he stated for his departure had nothing at all to do with Resident Evil. Your putting him on an imaginary pedestal as the defender of old-school Resident Evil is reaching ridiculous lengths.

And so far, not a single person from Capcom has implied that the direction of Revelations was changed back from survival horror to action, so I don't know where you keep getting that from. Hell, they did not even mention that the game would be a complete return to the original formula until December 2010, when Inafune was long gone.
                Whatever.I know what I heard.
                sigpic

Comment

• Really interesting thread.

Whilst i wouldn't say i've lost interest in the series (i still the main entries to be incredibly playable) i would say i've lost interest in the story, thanks in no small part to Takeuchi's "vision" of where the series should've led. Of all the conceivable routes he could've taken the guy, i can't imagine where he took it where it did.

(this thread i would say ISN'T the place for getting into all that in great detail though)

And i dare say also that all these people in the thread that might think they're disinterested right now and won't be bothered about future games will mostly still end up with any new game on day one.

Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
                  Whatever.I know what I heard.
                  Simple solution...post links.

Comment

• And i dare say also that all these people in the thread that might think they're disinterested right now and won't be bothered about future games will mostly still end up with any new game on day one.
                    Stu, I have to disagree with you. I only beat Resident Evil 5 once or twice as opposed to playing 1,2,3,CV and 4 countless and countless times. Some would say well maybe it was just 5 itself that didn't interest you, but I'm pretty sure it's just knowing that the initial STARS vs. Umbrella/Spencer storyline cannot proceed any further without being totally ridiculous.

That being said, I would be down for an RE2 or 3 (or a combination of both in one game) remake. As for any other game that tries to continue on what has already been done, I'm not for it and have absolutely zero interest. It's done. The story has been told. I can only see this series as an oppurtunity to milk money from the fans. Of course money is what drives everything, but at least there was some level of quality before Resident Evil exploded into mainstream.

Lets face it, although I never played Darkside Chronicles, I did watch a play through and the story was just horrible, the mechanics were lazy and most everything was recycled from Umbrella Chronicles. All the upcoming titles for 3DS and the like are just using the same models from previous games. All Capcom did was put a big shiny title on it that says Resident Evil: [Insert Subtitle Here] so you'll quickly line their pockets. the series has no depth anymore, what little it did have has been drowned in the sea of mainstream demand, and in that process the real fans' voices have been muted.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but I can't keep loving something that is beaten to death like a dead horse just so a company can milk that last penny. It's like watching a close friend die slowly in a hospital bed. Although you'll always remember the good times you've had, that person will never be the same again.
                    Last edited by LeechCharmer; 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR

Comment

• I'm still very much in love with the series. Been playing since 1999

Sure RE4 and RE5 kind of signaled a death of survival horror to me, but I thought they were both good games, just not good Resident Evils. I'm getting a 3DS for Revelations and am slowly building my collection up. I actually just imported Gun Survivor 2 in fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stu View Post
                        Simple solution...post links.
                        I don't think he needs to. What we're saying here is just our take on the situation.

Besides, no point going around the forums having Wikipedia backing all your arguments.

Anyway, Inafune was pretty clear why he hit the bricks. It had nothing to do with RE.
                        Last edited by Pikminister; 02-11-2011, 11:10 AM.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

• playing RE5 again, I was feeling that the bosses felt more RE like to me. but the over all atmosphere just seems like your not in Resident Evil. More like Texas chainsaw massacre. If RE5 had hunters and zombies, Tyrants, (dogs were okay and so were hyena's) maybe a giant African insects or giant snakes etc. would have made for a better RE5 game. It's not like they couldn't make the zombies run. But at the same time the environments would have been different because zombies wouldn't be able to climb ladders and platforms unless it was like a hybrid zombie (which they could have made the Ganado/ kijuju residents more zombie like) would have made my day. I like this game along with RE4. But both of these games had elements that strayed away from anything Resident evil. (no tight spaces for panic, camera angles, darkness and shock factor). I have been a RE fan since 98 and My very first game ever was Resident Evil 2. But as I get older my priorities change. I a more into making my Camaro SS fast then I am into playing Resident Evil. I feel like if they could go back to the Roots of resident evil and take a step back and reflect on what they are doing for the series and either end the series with an actual Resident evil game or make it worth while with original concepts that apply to the actual RE universe.

I loved the Idea of the UBCS mercs, STARS teams in the games, Hunk, who was on his own level of being an Umbrella Soldier and RPD. Officers.

If they made just a game with Hunk and how he got around from Resident evil 2 to CV's island and more, I think it would be sick. Actually having cool weapons of a MP5, silenced pistol, kill moves etc. in the game. Tofu was a bonus for sure! lol.

Yea the series to me really kinda faded after the last actual Resident Evil game before 4.

which was every game before resident evil 4. I even liked Dead Aim, survivor, RE0, Gaiden- fun for being bored I guess. etc. Atleast they stayed true to zombies and the basic idea of resident evil. Now if Resident evil started out as RE4's idea. Then the world would be different today with the series.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
                            noooooo.I watched E3 2010 and he specifically said that he wanted to have Revelations go back into the survival horror atmosphere.he even mentioned searching under furniture and solving puzzeles.

but anyway most likely the reason why he decided to leave capcom on dec,13,2010 is most likely capcom didn't to go back to Survival Horror and he did.So he took off.honostly i wouldn't
                            blame him if that was the reason.
                            I read the interview with Inafune in EDGE and the long-ass interview with him on NeoGAF about his departure and I don't recall once reading anything about it being to do with Resident Evil. It was more to do with Capcom restricting his creative freedom and although he loved Capcom and Japanese gaming, he wanted to go and do his own thing and thought the Japanese gaming industry needed to get back in the game again.

Comment

• well,yeah that was one of the reasons.Im glad he left Capcom because now whatever he creates he can now have creative control.He dosn't have to worry about Capcom bitching because they want the game style to be one way oor whatever.More power to inafune i say.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LeechCharmer View Post
                                Stu, I have to disagree with you. I only beat Resident Evil 5 once or twice as opposed to playing 1,2,3,CV and 4 countless and countless times. Some would say well maybe it was just 5 itself that didn't interest you, but I'm pretty sure it's just knowing that the initial STARS vs. Umbrella/Spencer storyline cannot proceed any further without being totally ridiculous.

That being said, I would be down for an RE2 or 3 (or a combination of both in one game) remake. As for any other game that tries to continue on what has already been done, I'm not for it and have absolutely zero interest. It's done. The story has been told. I can only see this series as an oppurtunity to milk money from the fans. Of course money is what drives everything, but at least there was some level of quality before Resident Evil exploded into mainstream.

Lets face it, although I never played Darkside Chronicles, I did watch a play through and the story was just horrible, the mechanics were lazy and most everything was recycled from Umbrella Chronicles. All the upcoming titles for 3DS and the like are just using the same models from previous games. All Capcom did was put a big shiny title on it that says Resident Evil: [Insert Subtitle Here] so you'll quickly line their pockets. the series has no depth anymore, what little it did have has been drowned in the sea of mainstream demand, and in that process the real fans' voices have been muted.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but I can't keep loving something that is beaten to death like a dead horse just so a company can milk that last penny. It's like watching a close friend die slowly in a hospital bed. Although you'll always remember the good times you've had, that person will never be the same again.
                                You took the words right out of my mouth.well said.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X