X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SonicBlue View Post
    Don't know if you guys already have this, btw
    That's nice of you, thanks for sharing!
    I did know about that promo disc although I never had a chance to "play" it myself.

This thing is a bit weird tough, why are there two .bin files in the folder?
    I thought it was a single disc.

Edit:
    (Track 1).bin works fine in my emulator but (Track 2).bin gives me a header error and freezes on a messed up boot screen:

I'll admit, I'm confused. I've never seen a cd image with "two tracks" like this one before...

There's plenty of BH3 beta goodness hidden on this disc tough!
    It's really interesting to have a dig through it with .tim and .bss viewers!

Also thanks for taking your time to convert the Jill costume textures into proper .bmp files for us!
    My .tim viewer always crashed on one of the costume files for some reason, so I could never convert all of them myself...
    Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-23-2011, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• some re 3 beta leftovers can be found here:

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert_Kendo View Post
        some re 3 beta leftovers can be found here:

http://resident-evil-beta.de/re3beta.html
        The different intro scenes are quite interesting!
        I think the intro would have told a lot more about what happened after RE1 if Capcom had left it that way in the final game!

It even shows the S.T.A.R.S. members becoming angry on Brian Irons for not believing their story about the Mansion Incident!
        Wasn't that also the reason why Jill left S.T.A.R.S. in the first place?

The "living city/dead city" comparison is also a nice feat! A shame that it was not kept for the final game!

And why did Capcom bother changing the hair styles of the characters in the epilogue files?
        Makes no sense to me...

The removal of the batteries for the TV remote is also interesting to note!
        You never put the remote into your inventory in the final game anyways.

Makes me wonder why this puzzle was removed...
        Same goes for the mysterious chain...

Edit:
        Just one small thing, Robert_Kendo!
        The last picture on your info page, this one:

...is not really beta. The ladder is just missing form the background because it is a 3d object in the game.

Perhaps it was planned to have the ladder move up/down as a part of some puzzle that was removed?
        Or it might have something to do with the fact that the crates behind the Kendo Gunshop van were not there in older versions of the game...
        Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-23-2011, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• There's a large misconception of what RE3 build is which one. The pictures Biohazard_1995 posted, for example, are not from the TGS build. As I said before, I'm only aware of three beta builds (there could be more, I don't know): The E3 one, the one IGN got hold of and the TGS one. Each have some different features:

E3: Has a different picture for Jill in the inventory. Began in the Warehouse. There were no extra outfits. The Reloading Tool had a limited amount of uses and you had to pick it up on the Warehouse, instead of having it on your inventory from the start. Most of the cutscenes have different angles or were completely different, like the one of the barricade after burning the rope on the door. It had those beta images at the intro. There are some slight differences on the backgrounds. The Chain puzzle was still on the disc. Brad didn't kill the zombie of green shirt behind the bar, you needed to kill all three, etc, etc.

The IGN one: It had the Jump Room feature. You could equip any weapon from the inventory with a set combination of buttons. It still had some beta custcenes. It still had the beta images at the intro, but they were more polished. Jill's pic on the inventory was like to one in retail. The Chain puzzle was still in the game. The game started with the explosion like retail instead of on the Warehouse. It's the last build with beta items, they were removed after its revision, etc, etc.

The TGS one: It's practically the same as retail. It was displayed at the TGS like 4 or 5 days before the actual japanese release. It's the one with less beta stuff, but the more called to have it. You could select from 4 different scenarios once you started a game.

Whether they are in hands of some collector or not, I don't know. The common procedure at that time was to return any disc they were given to review to the publisher.

And about the Chain puzzle: The first part of the Fire Hose was located on the emergency stairs' red box thingy, but whenever you tried to get the item the stair would go up making impossible to go down again. The puzzle consisted on replacing the Fire Hose with the Chain due to their similar weight, so the stair went down again and you could continue the game. On retail, two green herbs were placed on the upper level, so the player wouldn't ask why go up and find nothing. It was removed for all the backtracking you need to do if it were there.

@ Biohazard_1995: That interview is great! Can you scan the pages where the thing is? I'd love to see them.

@ kevstah2004: I'm eager to read the full interview =).
          Last edited by Ridley W. Hayes; 04-23-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• [Page 044]

10/11/99 11.47.18
            Subject: Shinji Mikami
            Response: "She was scary***"
            Camera: 1

10/11/99 11.47.59
            Subject: Shinji Mikami
            Response: "***not a pretty sight."
            Camera: 4

All the fun of the lair

In June 2000 Capcom intend to bring Mikami-san's
            vision to startling unlife in a Resi theme park
            known as "Biohazard 4D Horror". The main attraction
            will be a virtual zombie attack which subjects vistors
            to a terror-charged GCI sequence, while hydraulic chairs
            churn their stomachs and vents blow cold air down their necks.
            Lovely.

The first Biohazard theme park was based in Osaka. Many vistors
            were zombie-fondled during it's successful six month run.

-> movement in the shadows. Everything seems normal but you feel
            threatened - like you have a stalker. It's that flutter of fear
            I want you to experience.

Is it soemthing you've experienced?
            A couple of years ago there was a lot of publicity about stalkers
            in Japan. There were a lot of TV programmes on the subject which
            were a good source of ideas.

You didn't conduct any real-life research?
            The director of the Resident Evil 2 team had his very own stalker,
            but I haven't been stalked personally. She was scary.

She? It could have been worse, then?
            She wasn't a pretty sight.

How do you make a videogame promt the kind of fear that a stalker
            would cause in real life?

By keeping the player on his toes all the time.
            I want the player to be unsure as to what will happen next.
            It's not necessarily about horror, it's also about suprise and suspense.

Are there techniques you can use to create that suspense?

One way is to use the camera angle to change the players's perception.
            A first-person view makes the action more personal. But you can create
            tension by suddenly changing the focus - switching to a third-person view
            to show events that will affect the player's character. Then you switch
            back the first-person view, and the player is immediately tense because
            he has got respond urgently. That's what I'm working on for the future.

Sound seems to play an important part in cranking up the pressure in
            Resident Evil 3.

Yes. In the first couple of scenes a certain piece of music is deliberately
            played whenever the Nemesis is about to appear. Basically it's a warning. If
            you hear the music then you know the Nemesis is going to attack and you must
            prepare for it. But later on in the game, we purposely play that music, only
            this time the Nemesis doesn't appear, or he appears a little bit later.
            The player's all worked up for the attack, but it doesn't happen. It's like
            Pavlov's experiment [see case Note 2 on page 46] or the music in Jaws.
            I'm trying to mess with your mind.

What other trickery do you use?

I've tried to enhance the atmosphere with the sound of people screaming.
            I wanted to show zombies killing humans on the streets, but I decided
            against that because there's a lot of discussion
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

• Issue 41 and 42 also contain RE3, I have none of these.

Found Play mag dated Feb 97 has re2 again I don't have this one.
              Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-26-2011, 04:02 AM.
              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

• Great interview, kevstah2004! So good to know more about the development of RE3.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Upaluppa View Post
                  That's nice of you, thanks for sharing!
                  I did know about that promo disc although I never had a chance to "play" it myself.

This thing is a bit weird tough, why are there two .bin files in the folder?
                  I thought it was a single disc.

Edit:
                  (Track 1).bin works fine in my emulator but (Track 2).bin gives me a header error and freezes on a messed up boot screen:

I'll admit, I'm confused. I've never seen a cd image with "two tracks" like this one before...

There's plenty of BH3 beta goodness hidden on this disc tough!
                  It's really interesting to have a dig through it with .tim and .bss viewers!

Also thanks for taking your time to convert the Jill costume textures into proper .bmp files for us!
                  My .tim viewer always crashed on one of the costume files for some reason, so I could never convert all of them myself...
                  How did you view that boot screen? Track 2 can't be burned to CD-R. :/ Well, it can be burned with the cue file, but you can't burn the actual image it's self, unlike track 1.

Does this disc work for anyone? I can't get it work on an emulator, it seems like it doesn't want to accept any controls.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes View Post
                    Whether they are in hands of some collector or not, I don't know. The common procedure at that time was to return any disc they were given to review to the publisher.
                    Technically, yes, for some companies. In reality, especially with disk games, a lot of people didn't. Most of the beta disks out there come from magazines and such. Lots were thrown out, but some people kept the disks.

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
                      Does this disc work for anyone?
                      It works fine in both my PC emulator and also on the PSP.

Just ignore Track 2.bin!
                      You could even delete it and still get the disc to play!

I've converted Track 1.bin into a PSP Eboot and got it to work on my PSP as well!

It only contains the intro movie tough.
                      Strangely none of the ingame scenes shown on this site are present:
                      http://sector.ynet.sk/rimmer/resicol...%29/index.html

I guess that's just a mistake on that site. Perhaps the video is not showing the footage it's supposed to show...
                      Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• What's track 2 even for? it also didn't work for me but track 1 works great! thanks for the upload.

Comment

• Now I am only missing the German Resident Evil 1 Promo Disc and my RE demo collection would be complete...

The disc ID is SLED-00355.
                          It's a rolling demo marketed as featuring "uncensored" footage.

Does anybody know if it contains any beta/hidden/stuff of interest other than the uncensored video footage?
                          I apologize if this is off-topic. The Biohazard 3 Promo just reminded me that a similar disc existed for Resident Evil 1 as well...
                          Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borman View Post
                            Technically, yes, for some companies. In reality, especially with disk games, a lot of people didn't. Most of the beta disks out there come from magazines and such. Lots were thrown out, but some people kept the disks.
                            Yes. And thank god they didn't send them back . Most of the people I have talked to say they returned it. They could be lying though, but well...

Comment

Working...
                            X