• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Page 045]

10/11/99 14.01.34
    Subject: Shinji Mikami
    Response: "Your imagination fills the gaps."
    Camera: 2

in Japan about the effects of videogame violence on kids.
    So I reworked the idea, unnerving players by surrounding them
    with the sounds of nearby horror. You don't see anything, but your
    imagination fills in the gaps.

How difficult is it to keep inventing new ruses to scare people
    with? The impact of horror soon wears off.

In Resident Evil 3, I wanted to create tension through contrasting
    effects. For example, on the city streets you are haunted by the
    constant screaming. But then, when you go inside a building, I wanted
    everything to go quite. It would have been very eerie, but sadly it
    wasn't possible to fit the idea in this time around.

Will that idea appear in sequel?

It's time for a change. I want to get away from Resident Evil and
    create something completly new. Fear has been the number one element
    in all the Resident Evil games up till now. But it will take a back
    seat in my new game, which will be very different.

What kind of game will it be?

It definitely won't be be a horror game. Before Resident Evil, I worked
    on Disney games, so I've lurched from happy to scary. Now I want to go
    back and create a game filled with warmth.
    Resident Evil is very dark and there is only fear. I will create a
    totally new type of game where there's love, happeiness and laughter.
    The closest comparison would be Dragon Quest RPGs [See Case Note 3 on page 47].
    My game will be a fantasy game full of imagination and depth. It'll be more
    rounded than Resident Evil and you'll be able to adventure, learn new things ->

Case note 1
    Subject: Mikami-san on fear
    Ref: Heebie-jeebie central

You like to scare other people. What scares Mikami-san?
    My Girlfriend.

Is she the inspiraion for the Nemesis creature?
    I can't say. She's even scarier than the Nemesis.

We can't wait to face her in the next Resident Evil game.

Pawn of the dead. Biohazard dolls infect the stalls of Akihabra - Tokyo's
    electronic city.

------------------------

[Page 046]

10/11/99 15.49.00
    Response: "Fear was at the top of my list..."
    Camera: 4

10/11/99 15.51.26
    Response: "...and what scares people?"
    Camera: 2

case note 2
    Subject: Pavlov's experiment
    Ref: Your dinner's in the dog

Ivan Petrovich was a Russian scientist who liked to subject dogs to
    psychological experiments in his lab. He accidently discovered that if a
    bell was rung every time a hungry dog was fed, it would eventually associate
    food with the sound of a bell and start to activate on cue. Ultimately the
    pooch would salivate when the bell rang, even if Ivan had scoffed all the bone
    marrow bone and jelly earlier. Similary, we ecome Mikami-san's joke when the
    Nemesis music plays and we involunatrily brace for impact whether the super-ghoul
    shows or not.

-> and come to appricate characters' feelings. It will make you very emotional.

What's your starting point when you dsign a new game?

I prioritise the game's atmosphere and the effect I want it to have on people.
    For Resident Evil, fear was at the top of my list. From fear I had to work
    out what scares people. Obviously there are the graphical prompts and the

lighting effects, but you have to know what will draw players into the game.
    What will make players look at a perticular graphic. What will make them
    think "I must play this game now!"
    Once I have decided what kind of emotions I want to stimulate, then I design

every other element in the game to help create that effect.
    The original Resident Evil was based on just three rooms - the hall, the

cafeteria and the bar. From there I just expanded the rest of the world, adding
    the details that would create the right atmosphere in each place.
    Graphics, plot and characters are still subordinate to the message I want to
    convey to the player. I started with fear and trickled that into the characters

and storyline. My original vision was some heros blasting away zombies.
    Once I'd established the right image and atmosphere I designed the rest of the

game to fit.

What do you enjoy most about designing an entirely new world?

As a kid I watched televsion and movies, read books and, of course, played games.
    I realised that a game is the best way to convey a message to someone because

it's two-way. A game is interactive which means it's not complete when i've

finished designing it. It's only made whole once the player engages with it and

completes the effect. Other media are one-way only, but with games I can play

catch-ball with the player.

Does that mean you make the games you'd want to play?
    Yes, but I know all their secrets already so they never suprise me.
    [See Case Note 3 on page 47]

Are you excited by the PlayStation2?

The hardware has great potential but it will be very hard to make games that take
    advantage of it's power, because it demands a much wider range of skills than the

PlayStation. Sony provided libaries [off-the-peg programming routines] with the

PlayStation which immediatley freed the developers to take the next step. But

there are no libaries with the PlayStation2. Sony are saying "It's all yours,

make any games you want" but it will take a long time.

Are you working on the PS2 now?
    I'm working on the new Resident Evil game for the PlayStation2. But I can't
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Upaluppa View Post
      It works fine in both my PC emulator and also on the PSP.

Just ignore Track 2.bin!
      You could even delete it and still get the disc to play!

I've converted Track 1.bin into a PSP Eboot and got it to work on my PSP as well!

It only contains the intro movie tough.
      Strangely none of the ingame scenes shown on this site are present:
      http://sector.ynet.sk/rimmer/resicol...%29/index.html

I guess that's just a mistake on that site. Perhaps the video is not showing the footage it's supposed to show...
      I can get it to load in ePSXe but I don't think any of the buttons work as you can't select "SAMLE" in the menu, you just have to wait untill it times out and plays the intro. I read on assemblergames a post of Kendo's in which he stated the image is actually broken. Can you check it for corrupt sectors?

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
        I can get it to load in ePSXe but I don't think any of the buttons work as you can't select "SAMLE" in the menu, you just have to wait untill it times out and plays the intro. I read on assemblergames a post of Kendo's in which he stated the image is actually broken. Can you check it for corrupt sectors?
        I have just tested it with CDMage:

Seems to be just fine.
        I only checked Track 1.bin tough. I still have no clue what Track 2 is actually used for...

Also I did not use epsxe, I used psxrel on the PC and got it to work without any problems with that emu.
        Not being able to select anything in the main menu with the "SAMPLE" button is normal. It's actually a video being played, the main menu with the "SAMPLE" text is part of the video and thus it won't respond to any controller input.

There isn't any "playable" (as in controllable by the player) content on this promo disc.

Interestingly the "SAMPLE" tag is still included in the texture files for the main menu of the Trial Edition!
        This makes it likely that the footage on the promo disc was recorded from an actually existing build, probably specifically created for this video disc.

Just wait for a few seconds on the main menu and the rest of the video will start playing by itself!
        Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I have just tested it with CDMage:

Seems to be just fine.
          I only checked Track 1.bin tough. I still have no clue what Track 2 is actually used for...

Also I did not use epsxe, I used psxrel on the PC and got it to work without any problems with that emu.
          Not being able to select anything in the main menu with the "SAMPLE" button is normal. It's actually a video being played, the main menu with the "SAMPLE" text is part of the video and thus it won't respond to any controller input.

There isn't any "playable" (as in controllable by the player) content on this promo disc.

Interestingly the "SAMPLE" tag is still included in the texture files for the main menu of the Trial Edition!
          This makes it likely that the footage on the promo disc was recorded from an actually existing build, probably specifically created for this video disc.

Just wait for a few seconds on the main menu and the rest of the video will start playing by itself!
          I see, thanks. This disc actually has anti mod chip protection lol, pure militance on Capcom's behalf there lol...

Comment

I see, thanks. This disc actually has anti mod chip protection lol, pure militance on Capcom's behalf there lol...
            Right, I forgot about that.

I had a lot of trouble getting my (original and bought by me, I swear) disc of the censored German Resident Evil 3 to work on the PSP.

This promo disc (as well as the US Trial Edition) worked fine on the PSP tough.
            I wonder why...

Dino Crisis 1 (and 2 too, I guess) also seem to use Capcom's mod chip protection.
            I never got any backup images of my Dino Crisis disc to work on either emulator or PSP.
            They always freeze on the "Strong Violence Warning" screen.

I can't help but think that the mod chip protection is better for PAL (or even German only, lol!?) games compared to the NTSC releases which never gave me any trouble.

But let's not turn this into a copyright protection circumvention discussion, so I won't go into details.
            Just use the psxrel emulator for the promo disc and it'll work!
            Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• It works, it plays, I just thought I had to press buttons lol.

Comment

It works, it plays, I just thought I had to press buttons lol.
                Oh, never mind then...
                I thought it had the same violence screen freeze on epsxe as the German RE3 disc.

Comment

• Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• GamePro Issue 119 June 1999 - Issue 122 September 1999
                    Have DC1 and RE3

sigpic

Comment

• Hi, I unlock some beta camera angles!

Video:

I decided to make this available for 3 versions of RE3 for PC, Spanish, English and Japanese.

Download:
                      MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Hope you enjoy!
                      Last edited by Dark Biohazard; 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Play Issue 50 : Special Edition

Play Issue 53

sigpic

Comment

Resident Evil Gaiden was just a quick cash-in after the GBC port of RE1 was canceled.
                          "Gaiden" actually means side story in Japanese.

Edit:
                          Gaiden implied that Barry escaped with a shape shifting B.O.W. instead of the real Leon.
                          How could that ever be part of the canon?

Imagine playing Resident Evil 4 as "Leon" only to find out that you were controlling some monster all the time at the end.
                          Makes no sense, I know. But I somehow think that it would have been a cool idea!
                          He was meant to be infected at the end, not replaced with the shapeshifter. I read this idea a lot and I always presume it is a case of theory and chinese whispers. I remember reading in a RE4 interview many years ago the infection Leon had in RE4 was a result of Gaiden. This is before RE4 was changed.

Edit: I know what I read, since I cannot see but can guess a reply to this.
                          Last edited by Dracarys; 05-06-2011, 11:29 PM.
                          Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                            He was meant to be infected at the end, not replaced with the shapeshifter. I read this idea a lot and I always presume it is a case of theory and chinese whispers. I remember reading in a RE4 interview many years ago the infection Leon had in RE4 was a result of Gaiden. This is before RE4 was changed.
                            No, he was replaced. Pay attention to the story of Gaiden. If it bleeds green blood, it is the B.O.W. It isn't a virus. Also, there was no BH4 interview stating that his infection in the early versions of the game were as a result of Gaiden. He is infected with the Progenitor virus in those versions. The virus is never mentioned once in Gaiden.

Theory and Chinese whispers indeed.
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Good old PLAY, I used to have a subscription.. They also published one of my letters about how crap the N64 was, OK its not that bad but I think I was going through the console wars stage..

Comment

• Read through the thread, allot of interesting stuff so thanks to those for taking the time to post up the infos.

Now I have a question, not really beta or anything, but I remember seeing a RE3 thread a few years ago on either this forum or Bioflames about real world items in the RE3 backgrounds, showing said background image blown up and then a photo/scan of the real world item found in that background. For example, one I can explicitly remember was a Playboy magazine cover.

Anyone have any of those pictures?... I dunno why I didn't save them, RE3 being my fave in the series an all.

Comment

Working...
                                X