Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wesker's Report - Canonicity Debate (or the Official "WTF Hiroki Kato!?" Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post
    Here, here, here. Don't feel like paraphrasing those posts.

Wesker's Report II, Wesker's Extra Report, BSAA Remote Desktop and Adam's Blog all come directly from Capcom, and tied in with new games before or with (Wesker's Extra Report only) their releases.
    I can quote my previous post too and it will still be just as relevant. You ignore CAPCOM's involvement and treat the guide books (and the art books and so on) as though the writing process is the same as the games where one writer writes the entire thing (your entry for Incubate on Writers of BIOHAZARD excludes the involvement of the biohazard 4 development team). It isn't like that, it's stated outright in the credits of almost every single book I've looked at that the entire editing process is supervised by the development teams of the games involved in the publication. Your insistence that Studio BentStuff or another company's involvement voids their credibility is pretty much nonsense. Developers do not create these books themselves because it's not their specialty in the slightest. They contract the likes of Studio BentStuff and Karit. to handle them (because producing these books is their line of work, not CAPCOM's), while the development team(s) maintain a close supervisory role and provide the necessary material (hence the almost word-by-word reproduction of guide book information later on in the games). The credits are pretty clear.
    Last edited by News Bot; 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Can't we just agree to disagree?

I know this is the Internet and all, but come on. Why is it so important that we know for certain what is or is not canon? I love Resident Evil as much as the next person, sure, but at the end of the day, it's just a video game series.

I used to get this worked up about canon all the time, but at some point, I just came to the realization that the canon is constantly changing, often on a seeming whim. What was once canon is later changed by information revealed in a newer title. It's always been that way, and there are no signs it's going to stop.

One need only look at that chart Prime Blue drew up about the various canons/timelines that have existed over the course of the series to see that this isn't a new phenomenon that started with Resident Evil 4 or 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
        Can't we just agree to disagree?

I know this is the Internet and all, but come on. Why is it so important that we know for certain what is or is not canon? I love Resident Evil as much as the next person, sure, but at the end of the day, it's just a video game series.

I used to get this worked up about canon all the time, but at some point, I just came to the realization that the canon is constantly changing, often on a seeming whim. What was once canon is later changed by information revealed in a newer title. It's always been that way, and there are no signs it's going to stop.

One need only look at that chart Prime Blue drew up about the various canons/timelines that have existed over the course of the series to see that this isn't a new phenomenon that started with Resident Evil 4 or 5.
        I find it bizarrely fun, personally. Plus I do run a website that focuses on the canon, so it's pretty necessary.

Comment

I get that.

It just seems like you go to some pretty extreme lengths sometimes.

No offense intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
            I get that.

It just seems like you go to some pretty extreme lengths sometimes.

No offense intended.
            People over-estimate how much anybody actually cares about this stuff. The way I talk about it over the Internet is not an accurate representation of how I (or anyone else for that matter) feel about it.

Comment

ban news bot

Comment

^ Does this count as double-posting?

But like Spencer said, yeah man! Fucking News Bot always fucking up our lives with unnecessary drama. Ban the shit out of him. [/sarcasm]

Comment

i enjoy drama as much as the next guy, but this is just lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruit Salad View Post
                    i enjoy drama as much as the next guy, but this is just lame.
                    Two people debating something is not drama champ; it's a debate. Trying to establish the facts. I like the information Prime Blue provides and accept when I'm wrong on something. I am not calling Prime Blue a fucking cunt asshole shit licker.

Comment

Why does no one ask for me to get banned?

Comment

BAN PRIME BLUE

Comment

Who are you?

And it's lame because it's Resident Evil. The "plot" is nothing to write thousands of pages of content about. Maybe when I was a kid I gave a damn. Now it's just silly to think back on it and remember all the cliche's and mess it left behind. Capcom doesn't seem to care. They didn't when the first couple of games were about paving the way in your own adventure with different scenarios and outcomes. Perhaps there was a time when they did care about it enough to write out a canon where people surviving was the best possible outcome and most of the recent main entry titles have been straightforward stories. Stories about how Leon saved the President's daughter and Chris stopped Wesker from tentacle raping the world. But if they did care they certainly abandoned it quite a while ago and just threw it all in to a giant pot of cwaziness.

Maybe the series should have stopped at 2? No then we wouldn't have had the remake.... hmmm....
                          Last edited by Smiley; 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime Blue View Post
                            Why does no one ask for me to get banned?
                            because you're not annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                              Who are you?

And it's lame because it's Resident Evil. The "plot" is nothing to write thousands of pages of content about. Maybe when I was a kid I gave a damn. Now it's just silly to think back on it and remember all the cliche's and mess it left behind. Capcom doesn't seem to care. They didn't when the first couple of games were about paving the way in your own adventure with different scenarios and outcomes. Perhaps there was a time when they did care about it enough to write out a canon where people surviving was the best possible outcome and most of the recent main entry titles have been straightforward stories. Stories about how Leon saved the President's daughter and Chris stopped Wesker from tentacle raping the world. But if they did care they certainly abandoned it quite a while ago and just threw it all in to a giant pot of cwaziness.

Maybe the series should have stopped at 2? No then we wouldn't have had the remake.... hmmm....
                              "Hey, I'm going to post in a topic centering around the story of a video game series and announce my personal dislike for it. Because it's relevant."

Originally posted by Fruit Salad View Post
                              because you're not annoying
                              Nobody's asking you to take it upon yourself to try and hijack any topic I make either sport.
                              Last edited by News Bot; 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

deal w/ it

Comment

Working...
                                X