Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love that dog!

Comment

• The RE5 racism ordeal was much more then just a internet blog or a few people saying about it, the media I believe used it as a story because to no surprise the media uses anything to cause drama to make their money.

Comment

• Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
        The RE5 racism ordeal was much more then just a internet blog or a few people saying about it, the media I believe used it as a story because to no surprise the media uses anything to cause drama to make their money.
        A lot of places reported it, but the source was still the same. One blog by an angry black woman who thinks only white people should be enemies in a video game.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Who gives a shit! black,white,yellow,green,blue,... i kill them all :3

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
            Yes it is, but the manner in which he said it, talking down to us like we're mere mortals while he drinks the sweet nectar of life, gives off a very condescending vibe. I believe fully that he's doing this to goad Paul considering all their recent fighting.
            But that's the whole point. It's meant to be condescending, it's intentional. But it's done in an ironic sense. Only an idiot would take that video seriously.
            See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
              Hilarious.

"It's gonna have action, horror, action, explosions, action, fighting, action..."

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
              Because it wasn't a last-minute decision? This is a pretty stone cold fact. The entire game is built around co-op. Not just from a plot perspective, but from a gameplay perspective too. Co-op was introduced even before the story was finalized, and Sheva was a major character right from the concept stages of the game. Karen Dyer was attached to the project very early and conducted her motion capture and voice acting at the exact same time as everyone else (both of which, again, based around co-op and cost millions of dollars), she wasn't flown in late into development. Sheva wasn't portrayed as important to the plot, she was portrayed for what she was: Chris's partner. The same way Piers and Helena will be portrayed for what they are. Just because you don't like her character or co-op does not mean you should start looking for excuses to try and say she somehow ruined the game (completely subjective) or was shoe-horned in for whatever reason. It's simply incorrect, and pointless when you don't actually base the assumption on any evidence.
              So you're saying that Sheva was a playable co-op partner from the initial stages of development? When we saw trailers that showed just Chris running around areas that didn't make the final cut, or the area with Ndesu on foot? I'm aware that Sheva existed since the beginning, but - correct me if I'm wrong - she was a character who would occasionally pop in and help Chris out, much like Ada or Luis from RE4.

Didn't the original version of the game feature Excella being killed by a Tyrant or something, and Sheva not being attached to Chris at the hip throughout the game? I think Barry was somehow involved, too.

And yes, Sheva and the co-op angle of RE5 ruined the game for me. Of course it's subjective.
              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Sheva wasn't a co-op partner right away, but she was made one early into development (though it is impossible to tell precisely when). Her character, in which she was only a pop-in and out character in an early scenario draft (before the game was anything more than barebones gameplay mechanics) was expanded when Takeuchi wanted co-op. That wasn't the "original version" of the game, it was storyboards and concept art which didn't make the cut from the concept stage, yet even at that point, co-op was there (and yes, Sheva was there most of the time except for times when the players were separated or Jill temporarily became a partner). This was at least a full year or more before the racism allegation came out.
                Last edited by News Bot; 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• who cares about re5. it is what it is. can we go back to pretending that it doesn't exist now?

Comment

• Originally posted by ugh View Post
                    who cares about re5. it is what it is. can we go back to pretending that it doesn't exist now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	133277142475.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	401246

Comment

• I liked RE5. Boo to all those naysayers.
                      See you in hell.

Comment

who cares about re5. it is what it is. can we go back to pretending that it doesn't exist now?
                        Not really. Given that RE6 most closely resembles RE5, with a similar control scheme, partner system and, possibly, similar enemies it's an important frame of reference.

I must admit, I'm really surprised to hear so many people really like Sheva's AI. I couldn't handle it - I had a quick go tonight and still can't. On the other hand, I'm a decent enough player that I can play on normal with my wife - who plays video games once a year. So I can't be that awful. Of course, she is a lot brighter than the AI...but possibly not as good a shot. Enrico's hatred of the AI also knows no bounds, and he gave me the funniest look when I told him about the healing at wrong time issue apparently being his fault...

But if you guys get on with it, awesome. I'd glad Capcom managed to get it working well enough that it's folks like me, who aren't that awesome, simply can't get on with it. Not entirely impressed either, though.

As for making RE6's AI like Revelations...I dunno if it will work. It would mean that the enemy numbers and difficulty would have to scale dramatically, depending on whether you have an AI or human friend, and from the 'the only way to tell is if the human sucks' comment I kinda took it as Sheva Mk II - this time she can turn corners.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                          A lot of places reported it, but the source was still the same. One blog by an angry black woman who thinks only white people should be enemies in a video game.
                          Actually most gaming media didn't pick up on it until N'Gai Croal started going on about it at Newsweek. Didn't help that N'Gai at the time was also contributing his opinion on GameTrailer's Bonus Rounds and other SpikeTV gaming media, plus occassional posts on MTV and Kotaku at the time which meant his bitching about it was fairly widespead already at the start.

The infamous quote was...

I looked at the Resident Evil 5 trailer and I was like, "Wow, clearly no one black worked on this game."
                          - http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...has-a-history/
                          Last edited by Rombie; 05-25-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• I personally want to look out for my own ass, and Revelations did a good job of making it seem like your partner can actually take care of themselves, they are trained after all. I like how Leon and Helena are not best buddies from what I could gather from what we have seen. So less buddy buddy and more can I trust this person I am with.

Comment

• Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                              . I like how Leon and Helena are not best buddies from what I could gather from what we have seen. So less buddy buddy and more can I trust this person I am with.
                              That's a really interesting observation. I wonder if it will factor into gameplay at all. Sherry and Piers seem a bit more devoted to their partners.

Comment

Before RE6 was announced, yes, we could. But now that Capcom seems to be making RE6 just a more action-packed version of RE5 while drawing other influences from the game as well (co-op), RE5 must be discussed. I remember when RE5 first came out, and I was all excited, thinking that if it was only half as good as RE4, it would be awesome. It wasn't. In my opinion, they took all the good things from RE4 (single-player only, inventory, manual saving, some backtracking) and abandoned them, while adding new things which dumbed the game down and made for an overall dull experience.

I fear that RE6 will take all the stuff that I thought made RE5 dull (which to be honest is most of it), while not bringing in anything that made RE4 so great (aside from Leon).
                                Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                                X