Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 1.5 WIP Spoiler Thread (Post your screenshots, findings, observations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    Other little elements appearing in there make no difference in the end.
    Design, colors, and windows/lights placement are not little elements Again, the only thing left to interpretation is the "vending" machine. But yeah, people will always debate about what that particular pixel is, and theorize about those backgrounds being in two different rooms even though they obviously belong to the same corridor.

Comment

• ^ But who's to say that both the 2F and 3F corridor's don't have the exact same lighting setup and similar designs (makes realistic sense)

We'll find out for sure I guess when we play the final IGAS build.
      I do hate when people force their opinions on others as if they are factual - we may be right or may be wrong.
      But with only these 2 poor quality shots - anybody could be right .. right?
      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Nope, there's no geometry that seems to fit this camera angle on a 3F corridor. Plus stating that these two camera angles are obviously in the same room isn't "forcing opinion on people", it's just common sense.

But you're free to over-analyse things and come to a different conclusion if you want...

Comment

• But who's to say that both the 2F and 3F corridor's don't have the exact same lighting setup and similar designs (makes realistic sense)
          It's not really "evidence", but usually when they reuse geometry and layout multiple times, they try to make it not so blatant by skinning the rooms differently, using different camera angles, and by varying the lighting between rooms. Case in point, the different hallways of the RPD. Having two clone hallways make use of the exact same light settings and textures doesn't really seem like something they'd want to do, especially since one of the problems they had encountered with the 1.5 RPD was that the environments looked too bland and similar.

As for the vending machines, it makes more sense to have it on the 2F, rather than the 3F, since that's where a lot of the staff are working.
          Last edited by biohazard_star; 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM.
          Seibu teh geimu?
          ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            Exactly, it's just a corridor. No idea why it needs to be dissected in every little detail, even when important details are barely present. Anything would really work there for a reconstruction, as long as it contains similar camera angles and geometry. Other little elements appearing in there make no difference in the end.
            This is where we differ, sir. I understand where you're coming from; your priority is whatever ultimately creates the most enjoyable and sensible experience in the end. However, I am closer to the purist end of the spectrum, in that I cannot in good conscience ignore any detail from authentic media.

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            WIP assets are almost never indicative of anything, as they are due to change a lot until a finalized version shows up. The area could have had crows at first, then zombies, then who knows what else. The lighting could have been changed in countless ways, just like furniture arrangement and a gazillion more elements showing up in deprecated and low quality shots. What's showing up in there is so rough it's just not reliable enough to draw any real conclusions. It does give a few elements, of course, but it's very little and tends to create more confusion than really helping (examples: "aren' they different rooms?" or "what's that black spot? maybe a dead crow, or a cola sign!").
            It is precisely because these assets (WIP or not) are the best we have that we must honour them. The whole bloody game was a WIP; anything from any area could have changed slightly or even dramatically before the finalised version (which never even came to be anyway). Granting oneself full artistic licence with the justification that "anything could have been changed" establishes an extremely troubling precedent for restoring (not re-envisioning) the game.

If we consider the two photographs of what we (and most of us here) agree to be the 2F Lift Hall, we'll notice that it's not really any more barren than its sister corridor, the 1F West Corridor. It has proper lighting, flooring, wall textures, and even (what I see as) two vending machines (a soft drink machine and a shorter cigarette dispenser side by side). As zombies already infiltrate the windowless south half of the 1F West Corridor, it makes perfect sense that crows would be the enemies in the 2F Lift Hall directly above. As some of you have alluded to, two of the five windows are just square cutouts in the wall with neither frames nor glass panes. This is because, as with the Kennel, these two windows are meant to house frames and glass panes as 3D objects to allow crows to break through them; either these 3D objects disappear immediately upon the intrusion, or they were not yet built or implemented. The other three windows clearly feature thick bright-white frames around the panes (which is consistent in both images).

In conclusion, the 2F Lift Hall could very well have changed prior to the would-be final release. However, what we know of the room is already sufficient for its purpose, which is clearly just that of a "scare room" analogous to the 2F crow corridor in retail (the one leading to the Helipad where Mr. X is met). If we can keep this room basically how it is and have it fit with the rest of the game, why overhaul it?

I wouldn't be at all offended if IGAS decided to add additional decor or other assets to this room in order to make it seem like retail quality (that's their mission statement, and it's perfectly understandable), but I just hope that they don't subtract what little bits of authenticity can be salvaged from these images (e.g. the vending machines and the wall textures). Is that not reasonable enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
              It is precisely because these assets (WIP or not) are the best we have that we must honour them. The whole bloody game was a WIP; anything from any area could have changed slightly or even dramatically before the finalised version (which never even came to be anyway). Granting oneself full artistic licence with the justification that "anything could have been changed" establishes an extremely troubling precedent for restoring (not re-envisioning) the game.
              Artistic license is one thing, looking way too much into rough assets is another, even if the game is a prototype. This doesn't mean the game wasn't going to be reworked into something more refined, and BETA 2 should be quite indicative of that. Over analysing insignificant details that were likely to disappear or change doesn't mean being faithful to the source, especially when this makes people incapable of telling which room is which. In an ideal world, you'd take just what's really needed or important. It's not like a bunch of meaningless little things from a pretty much useless room can radically change the game experience.

This is because, as with the Kennel, these two windows are meant to house frames and glass panes as 3D objects to allow crows to break through them; either these 3D objects disappear immediately upon the intrusion, or they were not yet built or implemented. The other three windows clearly feature thick bright-white frames around the panes (which is consistent in both images).
              First of all, the frameless window is simply an artefact of the WIP state of that room (huge hint: there's nothing outside, it's completely black). Second, you wouldn't use a 3D object for masking if out, because it would stick out like a sore thumb and give the players a huge hint. Think of how retail does the crow scene or its licker counterpart in the interrogatory room. There's only sprites and masks in there, and none of the hidden parts look like in that shot.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• ^ Yeah .. normally they'd have two backgrounds (one OK and one smashed) and just ''flip'' them when the event is triggered (adding a sprite glass shatter effect)
                At least that's how they did it in RE1 dog corridor, RE2 crow hall and RE3 crows from the bus crash.

Oooh .. I only just thought - the crow attack from 1.5 was carried over into RE2 *derp* and it was on 2F aswell..
                "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                  ^ Yeah .. normally they'd have two backgrounds (one OK and one smashed) and just ''flip'' them when the event is triggered (adding a sprite glass shatter effect)
                  At least that's how they did it in RE1 dog corridor, RE2 crow hall and RE3 crows from the bus crash.

Oooh .. I only just thought - the crow attack from 1.5 was carried over into RE2 *derp* and it was on 2F aswell..
                  1.5 ain't that different from 2 actually...coulda been tweaked and it would have saved massive amounts of time and stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                    I don't really see how the color is different? You can't really judge that from low quality photos of CRT screens. I think it looks similar.
                    Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                    She's far from the wall, and she's also a bit smaller than Leon. The size seems to match.
                    I think you're mistaken. Do you know what baseboards are? I'm not talking about that lower section of the wall, I'm talking about the part where the floor meets the wall.

If you're still not sure what I'm talking about, you should Google "baseboards", and over my post again once you understand what they are.

Comment

• Then you're talking about the smaller black one? I don't see any difference in the pictures, but again, it's very blurry.

edit: Ok, it could be on the 3F floor as well.
                      Last edited by Rick Hunter; 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• It's impossible to tell from those images imo. The supposed round light fixture in Elza's shot doesn't look like it's in the right place, to me it looks like it's in the corner of the ceiling unlike the other lights and I can't really make out exactly what it is, even when making the image smaller, although it does appear to be creating a light source which can be seen to the left of that of the strip light. I think the crows would act as a nice surprise on the 2F, perhaps it coincides with John and Elza disturbing them on the roof. Here is how I imagine Leon's scenario:

- Makes his way down the stair well (2F is locked) from the roof to 1F where he accesses the basement
                        - Turns the power back on
                        - Uses the lift to make his way back up to 2F
                        - Investigates the 2F corridor and rooms
                        - Makes his way back into the 2F lift corridor and gets attacked by the crows as he heads to the stairwell door

But that's just me making an educated guess, while the backgrounds look the same due to the light sources, there's no way to tell for certain. It just makes more sense to me for them to be on the 2F as we don't know much about it and having the crows there would make the floor more interesting. All you can tell in the picture is that Leon appears to be heading to the exit, so perhaps learning where in the Bioflames chronology the image comes from might reveal more clues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renard View Post
                          I'm not talking about that lower section of the wall, I'm talking about the part where the floor meets the wall.
                          The walls have no baseboards. That black stripe is clearly a shadow. The walls only feature ceiling trim and the waist-high lower section.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                            The walls have no baseboards. That black stripe is clearly a shadow. The walls only feature ceiling trim and the waist-high lower section.
                            Ah. Now that I look at it, those are shadows. My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.
                            Last edited by Renard; 07-18-2013, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• Somehow I feel better about my tedious argumentative nature.
                              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• ...Well now that the horse is dead and thoroughly beaten, I suppose we'll all just have to wait for the next IGAS update with our thumbs up our asses. But at least that will be more productive than the bullshit being tossed around in Aleff's circus of a thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X