Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ I think what he's trying to say is that in REmake doesn't show him doing it in a cutscene or anything, and the general rule amongst games is it's only canon if in a cutscene/file/guide, etc. And seeing as how people take REmake as the canon experience of the Mansion Incident and he doesn't smoke according to files/cutscenes, then we just assume he doesn't smoke, regardless of RE1 (again, if you accept REmake as the canon experience). Perhaps he did smoke at one time, but we can't be sure (even if it's shown in RE1, again, the whole canon issue).
    Last edited by Canas Renvall; 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
      The random spanish officer from RE4, Luis Sera and Javier Hidalgo are smokers, actually
      Touché on that.

Originally posted by Grem View Post
      Even today, Chris is a rebel.

He knocked a police officer in order to get a valid reason to be suspended from his functions at the police station (Jill's RE3 diary).
      I wouldn't say he did that in order to get a valid reason to be suspended, that's silly for a guy like him. According to the first entry on Chris' Diary, he said he was running out of options because noone was willing to talk about the incident nor Umbrella. The entry is only some days before Jill's entry on her Diary. Even Jill say: "Ever since that day, he has been fighting all by himself without rest". I'd say he was under a lot of pressure and quite stressed.

He took actions on his own against Umbrella at the time of CV even though he was not a part of any organisation anymore, which is pretty much illegal. He then joined forces with an underground containment unit in 2003 and ignored BSAA's order to retreat in order to save Jill in RE5. Not a rebel anymore? I don't think so
      Those actions are pretty much a result of his high principles, strong sense of duty and how much he cares for Jill. The underground containment unit was the BSAA.

As for the smoking thing, there's not a single element in the games that proves Chris became a non smoker. So, when I see all these pictures showing Chris smoking, even if it concerns the original RE, I assume that he is a smoker.

Chris never changed IMO
      As far as I know, when REmake was made it was supposed to expand the story of the original, if something gets removed from it, then it isn't canon anymore. If he was planned to still be a smoker from REmake onwards, then he would've been shown smoking.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
      Chris is shown to do it (twice), so he does/did smoke. Plain and simple. Remake never contradicts this fact.
      Which leads me to:

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
      ^ I think what he's trying to say is that in REmake doesn't show him doing it in a cutscene or anything, and the general rule amongst games is it's only canon if in a cutscene/file/guide, etc. And seeing as how people take REmake as the canon experience of the Mansion Incident and he doesn't smoke according to files/cutscenes, then we just assume he doesn't smoke, regardless of RE1 (again, if you accept REmake as the canon experience). Perhaps he did smoke at one time, but we can't be sure (even if it's shown in RE1, again, the whole canon issue).
      That exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sly View Post
        Chris is shown to do it (twice), so he does/did smoke. Plain and simple. Remake never contradicts this fact.
        In the uncut version of a tangibly canon game.
        Last edited by News Bot; 10-06-2009, 01:46 AM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Of course RE1 and Rebirth are canon, Rebirth replaces RE1 only when there is a contradiction, and expands the original game's experience. Chris is not shown smoking in the remake for the same reason he was not shown smoking back in 96 : censorship.
          For example, the file called "scrapbook" in RE1 was not in the remake. Should we then ignore it ? I say no, you may say yes... diverging opinions.
          I thought that an archivist from P-U like you would take account of each and every piece of canon information as long as there is no clear contradiction, for the sake of comprehensiveness.
          he doesn't smoke according to files/cutscenes, then we just assume he doesn't smoke
          Just because you don't see someone doing something doesn't mean he doesn't do it. I've never seen Edward Dewey dance, or Kenneth Sullivan take care of his garden, but they do. Background information, anyone ?

Comment

Chris is not shown smoking in the remake for the same reason he was not shown smoking back in 96 : censorship.
            If that was the case then he would have been shown smoking in the version of the game that was sold at the territories that doesn't have censorship, pretty much as the original game. It didn't get included, why? because the developers didn't want to portray him as such anymore.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            Just because you don't see someone doing something doesn't mean he doesn't do it. I've never seen Edward Dewey dance, or Kenneth Sullivan take care of his garden, but they do. Background information, anyone ?
            Yup, background information stated on a profile from an official source related to REmake. The same source that doesn't have any word about Chris smoking.

Comment

• Just because you don't see someone doing something doesn't mean he doesn't do it. I've never seen Edward Dewey dance, or Kenneth Sullivan take care of his garden, but they do. Background information, anyone ?
              Uhh... its stated they do these things. Its not stated that Chris smokes, ever. Instead it is shown in a mostly irrelevant game, in cutscenes that were scrapped from the game's actual release. The only other reason you think he smokes is because, by all means, he has a lighter. But so do Leon and Claire, and neither of them smoke.
              Last edited by News Bot; 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• RE1 irrelevant ? Outstanding.
                So I assume you'll have to remove all RE1 files from P-U then.

Comment

RE1 irrelevant ? Outstanding.
                  So I assume you'll have to remove all RE1 files from P-U then.
                  Just because its canonicity is questionable doesn't mean we shouldn't cover it. Going by that we should remove Gaiden and the cell phone games as well completely.

And I think you grossly misunderstood what Project Umbrella is even there for.

If you would like to contest RE1's relevance I invite you to go right ahead. As it stands, it is nothing more than a very basic overview of the Mansion Incident. Outdated mansion layout, outdated enemies and so on and so forth.

If you want to go even deeper, how about checking out the RE1 strategy guides and the backstory behind the game? Not only is there hardly any actual reference to the T-virus, instead most B.O.W.s and monsters in the game are created through a "Clay Virus" which has several types, ranging from a to c (possibly even e, memory is fuzzy). For example:

A ferocious hunting shark. Neptune is an underwater-type B.O.W. that was administered Clay-virus type α and given further genetic modification. It is invincible in water. The name "Neptune" is from Greek mythology and was given as a code name.
                  TYRANT

In Raccoon City, Umbrella discovered a 'Clay' virus, and they called it E-Type. Umbrella created a B.O.W, called Tyrant, and just before the project was almost finished successfully, the scientists made a mistake, which destroyed all their equipment and prevented them from trying the experiment again. They kept the project a secret, and told no one about the mistake either. However, they continued experiments on animals and plants, but the E-Type Clay virus was making the test subjects mutate beyond what they could handle, and in effect killed them. However, there was one successful experiment on a plant, and they reported it back to their superiors.

THE TYRANT WEAPON

The scientists continued their research and became more and more successful in creating bigger, better and more powerful plants. Soon, the scientists split up, and were assigned to a project each. The plants became more and more powerful than standard BOWs as time went on. Umbrella created more of the Clay virus, and tried to test it on animals again. This time around, the animals became as smart as human beings, and were named “Hunters”, with superior fighting skills. These Hunters attacked with their powerful left arms, which had claws on the end. The Hunters were also heavily armored, which made them resistant to attacks. These Hunters were officially classed as Tyrant weapons.

BOX 1

Tyrant T-002 was an effective animal-machine hybrid fighter, with powerful attacks and heavy protection.

BOX 2

SAME DESCRIPTION OF HUNTERS WHICH WAS NEAR THE BOTTOM OF “THE TYRANT WEAPON”.

HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THESE SPECIMENS

Even with a Grenade Gun, killing these specimens will be a tough challenge. However, their one weakness is that they move too fast, and will frequently need repairs to keep them on their feet. But when they do get tired, killing them is easier, and another weakness of theirs is fire. However these specimens can also accidentally turn hostile on their allies, with sometimes fatal results, so caution should be used.
                  It contradicts pretty much the entire series. And you are basing an argument out of scrapped cutscenes (which were removed for several reasons, from censorship to changing the personality of Chris) from this game.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
                    Whether the characters smoke or not is irrelevant. But if they aren't shown to do it, then they don't do it. Plain and simple.
                    I don't think so. If we follow your logic then we can imagine that Chris doesn't drink beer or eat pizza because he isn't shown doing it?
                    The guy was shown in a lot of artworks and in one cut scene smoking and then he starts Remake with a lighter. For me, there is nothing in the games contradicting Chris' bad habit.

Also, Luis is, indeed, a smoker and we never saw him smoking IIRC

Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes
                    I wouldn't say he did that in order to get a valid reason to be suspended, that's silly for a guy like him. According to the first entry on Chris' Diary, he said he was running out of options because noone was willing to talk about the incident nor Umbrella. The entry is only some days before Jill's entry on her Diary. Even Jill say: "Ever since that day, he has been fighting all by himself without rest". I'd say he was under a lot of pressure and quite stressed.
                    But he gave a wink to Jill when he punched that guy. Why then?

Those actions are pretty much a result of his high principles, strong sense of duty and how much he cares for Jill. The underground containment unit was the BSAA.
                    His high principles or strong sense of duty don't contradict the fact that he acts as a rebel from the established authorities' point of view.
                    And yes, the Underground containment unit probably became the BSAA. But in 2003, it was an illegal group.
                    Last edited by Grem; 10-06-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• The guy was shown in a lot of artworks and in one cut scene smoking and then he starts Remake with a lighter. C'mon man, he is a fucking smoker, at least during the mansion incident.
                      Leon is shown with a dog in the same artbook. Is there ever any reference to said dog? Should I assume that the armour Leon wears in other artwork (also in the same book) actually exists?

Oh yeah, and said artwork of Chris is still from RE1. Not only that, the actual artwork was drawn exclusively by the art designer. They don't represent anything. Should I assume that the RE4 artwork of Leon, Ada and Ashley together is canon?

Also, Luis is, indeed, a smoker and we never saw him smoking IIRC
                      Aside from him asking for a cigarrete. Whats your point? I don't doubt Luis is a smoker, its explicity stated.

The fact that you think anyone that carries a lighter is an automatic smoker is laughable.

And yes, the Underground containment unit probably became the BSAA. But in 2003, it was an illegal group.
                      Uhh, how? "Regional biohazard containment unit" doesn't exactly scream "illegal" or "underground". Fuck, REGIONAL alone should be enough to point that out. And exactly what kind of illegal group would walk right up to the Russian government, request authorization and grab a bunch of Hind-D's? Last I checked they don't hand those fuckers out.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
                        The fact that you think anyone that carries a lighter is an automatic smoker is laughable.
                        I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say such a thing at all. In Chris' case, the man was shown smoking in the original game. Then, in Remake he has a lighter as a personal item. It just seemed very logical to me that this lighter was used to light cigarettes! But I guess my logic is plain stupid according to your standards.

In short, I was just referring to Chris' case, not in general.

"Regional biohazard containment unit" doesn't exactly scream "illegal" or "underground". Fuck, REGIONAL alone should be enough to point that out. And exactly what kind of illegal group would walk right up to the Russian government, request authorization and grab a bunch of Hind-D's?
                        Yeah, my bad. I was wrong on this. Dunno why, I've always seen this unit as "underground". Thanks for pointing that out

Comment

• Uh... back to Darkside...

Anybody remember where it said Hidalgo (Javier, right?) was connected to Wesker, and was said that he would foil Wesker? Or something...

That got me thinking, what if (since Hidalgo seems to be using the T-Veronica) he got it from Wesker, who got it from Steve?

HO SHIT, PLOT TWIST!!!!! jk, but really... anyone else think so?

Comment

• About the smoking thing: Can someone clear this up? I've always assumed that once the Remake was released, it replaced the original Resident Evil (all versions). Thus, everything in the original Resident Evil (all versions) became irrelevant. It's as if it never existed in the first place. Am I wrong?

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            Anybody remember where it said Hidalgo (Javier, right?) was connected to Wesker, and was said that he would foil Wesker? Or something...

That got me thinking, what if (since Hidalgo seems to be using the T-Veronica) he got it from Wesker, who got it from Steve?
                            Interesting hypothesis. It's certainly possible. I hope that Wesker shows up (or is at least mentioned, even in a file) at some point during the South American scenario, just to clarify things.
                            Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM.
                            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• About the smoking thing: Can someone clear this up? I've always assumed that once the Remake was released, it replaced the original Resident Evil (all versions). Thus, everything in the original Resident Evil (all versions) became irrelevant. It's as if it never existed in the first place. Am I wrong?
                              No, you're totally correct.

Interesting hypothesis. It's certainly possible. I hope that Wesker shows up (or is at least mentioned, even in a file) at some point during the South American scenario, just to clarify things.
                              It would also greatly explain how Leon knows Ada is working with Wesker in RE4, and how he seems to mention his name as though they have some past history. Not to mention how Krauser came to work for him.

Comment

• Also, anyone else hope that they don't cut the scene where Alexia mutates and fights Wesker?

From the trailers, she seems to mutate in a completely different (at least different looking area). I really hope she still fights Wesker, even if in flashback form. I mean, she really kicked his ass in the original CV/x.

Comment

Working...
                                X