Various Translations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the "Nemesis Report" that came from a Chinese guidebook. It was a little more detailed than the Japanese guides because it consolidated a collective of information and then made up the rest.
    My first guess it is. I assume it's excluded from canon, then.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
    BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Kegluneq View Post
      My first guess it is. I assume it's excluded from canon, then.
      Not written by CAPCOM, so nope. It is pretty competent regurgitation though. They did include some things that were actually early development stuff, such as Nemesis-T originally being armed with a handgun. I'd like to see the original book, though.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Welsh pointed out this one, which is quite extreme. In RE2, Brian Irons says:

"That monster that's been tearing my precinct apart is yet another product of the G-Virus. The ultimate bio-weapon."
        But in the original version...

(人間の進化を促すウイルス兵器だ)
        A viral weapon to promote the evolution of humans.
        The whole G-Human thing came directly from BIO2. The line is COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT. That's just a bullshit excuse of a translation.
        Last edited by News Bot; 05-27-2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          The line is COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT. That's just a bullshit excuse of a translation.
          I don't understand how you can be surprised at that translation.

The whole thing doesn't make a lick of sense. Look at what Irons says:

"That monster that's been tearing my precinct apart is yet another product of the G-Virus.
          Which suggests that he is referring to T-103 since that would be the "other" product roaming around the precinct. And I have no doubts that this is what the translator actually thought since Claire's CD is numbered #2 (played after Leon's and thus Scenario B).

Comment

• I'm extremely annoyed by it, honestly. It's a disgrace. It's not even "translation", it's just plain old making shit up.

But at least we can also seal the deal on Birkin's intentions in 1.5 too, and I've got a bunch of article edits to do because this changes quite a bit. Did Birkin confide in Irons about G's true purpose or was Umbrella aware of its purpose all along? Either way has implications on the rest of the plot.

Comment

• Found the translated piece:

Post #8. Thoughts on it?

Comment

• Thanks Oh god, imagine having to find the batteries for the remote in the Sales Office. That would drive me mad. But what would you use a chain for and is that first object a torch (send a signal to the evacuation team ontop of the church)?

The reality is that translation or not alot of different people have worked on the RE universe and it's been written anochristically. As a result it's got complex canon. Therefore opinions on all aspects of the series tend to be highly subjective.

Personally, I'm sad that the REMake & RE0 didn't attempt to simplify things (Rebecca, you may want to mention that previous mansio to Chris...) and that RE4 didn't sweep the past under carpet. I find the deeper the series tries to explain the original scenarios (0-3) and set up new ones, the more it trips itself up.
                "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• The anachronisms in the series are generally quite minor. While the canon is complex and the quality varies from title to title, it's not broken in any way. Well, except in translation.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• They don't break anything, but I wouldn't say they're minor changes. For example, the resurrection of Wesker in CV (was that in the DC version or just introduced for the PS2 port?) and fleshing out his relationship with Birkin in 0 put very different spins on the first two titles, whilst Rebecca's prescence / behaviour in REMake still doesn't take into account her experiences in 0.

As you say, the quality of the writing varies significantly across the board, but I think it's the complexity that is the biggest problem. The MGS is madder and more complex, but by spreading that over more locations, characters and time periods, it's much easier to digest and has less holes, even when they've been going back to Big Boss' past and reinventing him as the good guy.

I've not played either Chronicles title though. Do they create a leaner world or add anything new to stories of 1,2 & 3?

Comment

• Wesker's revival was in all versions of CV. It was perfectly fine considering it tied into a larger plot point (Progenitor Virus). His relationship with Birkin didn't affect anything so I wouldn't call it very different spins.

Rebecca's apparent disparity between 0 and 1 isn't really an issue. Even in Umbrella Chronicles she's the same between those respective scenarios, because that's how they wanted her. There is no reason for her to provide exposition to Chris regarding the events she experienced, partially because she has the motive to keep Billy out of it. There is also the big fact that BIO1's scenario is not concrete. It's malleable. What you see isn't necessarily what you get and the game itself has no "canon" besides what is dictated in later titles. So Rebecca very well could've mentioned it, we just don't see it. This isn't a problem. It's a sacrifice for open-ended gameplay and freedom of choice for the player.

The MGS series is certainly not easier to digest or with less holes.

Comment

• Well whether or not Wesker was acting alone does put his behave in a different light. Then there his reasons for doing so. In the original RE1 it also comes across as that he disagrees with Umbrella's descision to simply destroy the Tyrant and all related work so he decides to steal it. RE0 sets up more complicated reasons for his desire to steal the Tyrant.

As for Rebecca, I think it would be a good thing to explain that the problem is not just local to the mansion and that there are more than zombies to deal with as soon as I could. And at the very least mention that Umbrella are involved. And she could do this without name dropping Billy. I don't see how any of that would sacrifice the choices and outcomes available to the player in 1, nor would it affect the events in the rest of the series. I find it odd that REMake doesn't attempt to readjust the events of the original to tie in greater with 0. It seems like it was a conscious descision to just add to the pre-existing story and not change any of those foundations.

When it comes to how concrete the events for any fictional medium is, it really depends on who is referencing it for another story (interactive or not) in that universe. But consistency generally rewards perseverance with a series / franchise. As to how much of a problem a contradiction or hole in that universe is, it varies person to person as they will see each differently.

I'm more willing to forgive MGS for its its problems more because I think the series strikes a better balance between pomp and self ridiculous and asks you to laugh with it at it whilst the RE series wants to be taken seriously whilst getting more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

Comment

• His behavior is the same either way. In BIO1, Wesker wanted to steal the Tyrant for himself as a tool in his own plan. He didn't disagree with Umbrella's decision to destroy it, he just ignored it. BIO0 didn't change anything. REmake doesn't adjust events because it is frankly unnecessary. They didn't want to change the story, you're right in that regard. There's even a scene in the original and remake where Rebecca has to explain what Umbrella is to Chris. That scene exists solely for the player's benefit, not Chris'.

Both MGS and BIO are series that want to be taken seriously. Both are also ridiculous, but MGS wins in that regard.

Comment

• While true, at least Metal Geear, even with revengence, was able to display true characters and develop both the world and story without a sacrifice in gameplay. Biohazard, while good, requires supplemental material and interviews with people who worked on the games to actually take hold onto the story and lore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
                              While true, at least Metal Geear, even with revengence, was able to display true characters and develop both the world and story without a sacrifice in gameplay. Biohazard, while good, requires supplemental material and interviews with people who worked on the games to actually take hold onto the story and lore.
                              That is intentional. MGS batters you over the head with story whether you want it or not. BIO lets you decide for yourself, with the main focus being on creating a game rather than an interactive movie.

Comment

• Perhaps, but it isn't like bio has been heralded as a fine example if storytelling in gaming. I don't even like metal gear that much (more of a fan of 1 and 3), but its leagues more developed and properly executed than bio. Both can't hold a candle to Silent Hill or Legacy of Kain though.

Even then, Bio may be intentionally trying to be vague I'm story terms or lore, but it kinda fails in that regard compared to even recent works like the Souls series from From Software. I love the series, but it's never been more than b-movie in quality.
                                Last edited by Drake; 08-04-2014, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X