No announcement yet.

Alan Wake (Time to WAKE UP again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have got to remember how small of a team Remedy is when they developed this, and then changing the game design when the open sandbox level didn't go well to their narrative that they wanted. Let's not forget this was a enitrely new engine starting from ground up to go with this also 85 standing on Metacritic is good too, with great reviews ranging from 9 to 8. I don't see much to complain considering the genre the game has been labeled as. Shame I still have to wait a week until release =(
    Last edited by Zombie Fred; 05-07-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I'm not forgetting that, but Remedy has always played by "When it's done" rule and taken their time. The two Max Payne titles were exceptional. I don't believe Alan Wake will be all that bad, but it's surprising to see some fairly consistent comments about what is wrong with the game in the reviews.

Comment

I think the best outlook to look upon this will be the feedback upon the minor flaws in the game, with Remedy fixing the issues for the sequel (ala next season), while they have the advantage to play around with new mechanics in the DLC episodes coming. Alan Wake 2 will most likely be under a two year development (or perhaps less considering the engine framework, like with Max Payne 2) so the former issue can be adressed to make this become great further for a franchise.

Comment

Outside of the odd facial animations though, what else do you think is wrong with Alan Wake ?.

I haven't read any of the reviews in fair of random spoilage, but from what I gather reading message boards there's some complaints about tearing and the ending being obvious sequel fodder, those really don't sound that bad to be honest.
          Last edited by A-J; 05-07-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Apparently your weapons are magically disappearing each time a new level starts..

Comment

Originally posted by doomed View Post
              Apparently your weapons are magically disappearing each time a new level starts..
              Really ?

isn't the episodic structure supposed to end in cliff hangers for each episodes ? I'd guess they end in some manner that explains why your equipment isn't there the next time around ?

Comment

Here is the review that I read it: http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r26540.htm

The most atrocious evidence of Remedy's constant guiding hand happens with begrudging regularity. Don't get too attached to your weapons, because they will be stripped away, repeatedly. I can understand why Wake would have to ditch the handgun and the shotgun before going to the Sheriff's office, but not for an uneventful scene-change. When Wake takes a nasty fall, I pretend that my ten flares, 20 packs of batteries, three flashbangs, and hunting rifle flew out of my pockets (and never came down?). That doesn't explain why my heavy-duty flashlight, still clutched firmly in-hand, has reverted back into the basic model.

Comment

Honestly that just sounds like complaining for complaining's sake .. if they had let you carry all your guns and ammo then that might lead to a negative point about the combat/fights being too easy etc etc ..

I mean it's not like this is a "shooter" shooter game right ?

anyway, GameSpot have a very glowing review up, it's an 8.5 but there's really only one con there ..

Creepy atmosphere, fantastic combat, and clever storytelling make Alan Wake's quest thrilling from beginning to end.

and exploration is always appreciated.

Exploration is as important as combat when trying to make your way through these haunted woods. Going off the beaten path is the only way you can find the missing manuscripts and television sets, and there are hidden weapon caches that aid you in fending off this unrelenting horde.
                  Last edited by A-J; 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

This game, without a doubt, is in top five of best games I have played this generation. This game has been amazing from the start to the coming end of Chapter 3 (around 5 hours and sadly will not be able to continue until Sunday night due to going down South of England to see friends and family ) and I praise Remedy for crafting such a beautiful world.

The characters, sound design, lighting, and story are just some of the few highlights for me (if not most all of everything). And the Taken/darkness do wonders of adding that physchological mental state to you as you wonder where they will come from in the forest. The manuscript (one of the methods how the story is presented) really bolds to keeping you on the edge when you read on events that are to either occure or later on, without you expecting. This is probably the best "horror" game I have played in this generation.

I am sure also Wayne here was in awe during the vista in episode 3 where you are driving to the coal mines; the lush alp forest stretching among the mountains, as the beautiful daylight continues around you. The daylight scenarios are one of my personal enjoyments for this game, and I can't wait for more! Damn it feels like cold turkey considering how addicting it is when you put down the controller and think about your playtime with the game.

Comment

• Completed. 8/10

Very generic, very repetitive (every level is literally point a to point b, press a switch, rinse and repeat...with the odd bit of driving), with a plot that makes Lost look like the story of Humpty Dumpty.

For some reason that i can't get my head round though, i still enjoyed it, right up until the last half hour which is just some seriously pretentious bullshit...

Rental for sure. Very little replayability unless you fancy collecting 100 thermosflasks.

Comment

• *For those who have the Soundtrack* Noticed that it has different titles when you insert it to a 360 then to a MP3 player?

Damn it feels like cold turkey considering how addicting it is when you put down the controller and think about your playtime with the game.
                        The moment I beaten it, I've started to feel what others were saying when they beaten a episode. I'm already hungry for the Signal.

the ending being obvious sequel fodder
                        Like Max Payne (or James Bond), you'll see a statement that your titular hero will return at the end of the credits.

You have to give credit that some of the odd facial animations still showcase the appropriate expression and charm; Odin's face was the most life like even with such a big mouth.
                        Last edited by BBboy20; 05-25-2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• I just ordered this, it better be good! Can't say i'm pleased they're going the DLC route, especially since its taken them this damn long to get the game out there, the least they could have done was put the FULL game out there in one go instead out gouging the players for more money than the retail cost of the game.

Comment

• It is said that while the game is like TV series, those DLC are TV specials with story more or less independent from the main series. Not to mention, if you buy the game new, you will get the first DLC for free. It's just a way to force people to buy new games instead of buying them used or renting them.
                            Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 05-31-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Pretty much, yes. Battlefield Bad Company: 2's VIP service was a clear example of things to come for future games in trading and renting them.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeskerIncarnate View Post
                                Pretty much, yes. Battlefield Bad Company: 2's VIP service was a clear example of things to come for future games in trading and renting them.
                                Sure as hell beats having to purchase it just to play MP.

Comment

Working...
                                X