Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 5 = Resident Evil 4 (Arguing in here! - Keep it civil)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    ...you know, I really, really hate it when people announce I'm not a fucking fan of the series because I don't worship everything about RE4.
    Never said that.

My problem is with the people who refuse to play the game because it's different, or plan on not playing RE5 because it "looks like RE4."

Now, RE4 is not scary.
    That's a matter of opinion, but I agree with you on this. It wasn't scary...more creepy than scary. The only "OH SHIT" moment was Oven Man's appearance, and that wasn't even all that shocking...I kind of saw it coming.

RE5 does look scarier, though, I have to say. I think most would agree.

They didn't need to, in my opinion, dumb the game down. There could have been exploration elements retained. The puzzles could certainly have been improved. For crying out loud it's a village of possesed people controlled by a pranoid ego maniac. You don't think strange puzzles are possible in those circumstances? They took them out because without the exploration and the increase ina action they had no place.
    Yeah, the lack of puzzles was disheartening...but it looks like the co-op play in RE5 opens the door for more 'puzzle' solving.

As for why the game simply isn't as scary as the old one, which Capcom virtually admits when they talk about making RE5 more scary...well, simply put, a zombie can kill you. A single Ganado can't. They're too stupid. They have to swarm you and with a half decent position you can knife most of them to death. Hopefully this time they'll make the things smart enough to actually be scary, although I doubt it from what I hear.
    Okay, Ganados are stupid and slow, yeah. I'd much more like to play a game with 'zombies' like the ones from 28 Days Later, ones that sprint after you...kind of like Crimson Heads...Ganados really on their sheer numbers, something that they have a lot of...the feeling of being overwhelmed by numbers, is pretty scary.

But you weren't scared the first time you heard Dr. Salvador's chainsaw rev up? You didn't get scared the first time you heard the monks at the Castle, moaning and singing? You didn't get scared by the Garrador in the prison?

The game could have been scary, though. RE3.5's videos show that.
    To each his own, I guess. I thought 3.5 looked utterly ridiculous.

So...tell me this: With the elements I, and many others, like removed from the series why, exactly, do we have to love RE4
    I never said you have to love RE4. I just think people should appreciate it for what it is -- widely considered as one of the better games of all time, plain and simple. Do I like Halo? No, I hate it, but lots of people love it and it's one of the highest-rated, highest-selling series of all time, so I appreciate it.

or not be a part of the series?
    This is my main point: how could you not finish something that you began?

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, I'm just trying to understand them, so I appreciate your post.
    Last edited by Vector; 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Well, you did call me a blind fanboy because I don't think RE4 is awesome. I appologize if I went over the top, but I've had a lot of people insult me over my lack of love for RE4. Which is annoying as hell because I do like the game. It's a great action game. It's just awful as a Resident Evil.

And yeah, I will be getting RE5. The question is will I pay full retail price or will I pick it up later, second hand? The answer is simple...will it scare me?

Yeah, I admit, some of the enemies in RE4 worried me the first time I ran in to them. Even the new ganados, when I realized they could push up ladders and such. The problem is the fear of them went down, very very fast. A zombie is dangerous pretty much through the game, because you don't wanna waste anything bigger than the handgun or maybe shotgun on them. A ganado, you discover quickly, is never dangerous. Not on there own. Even if they hurt you once they'll quickly get put down. A zombie can chomp you, get knocked back, come back in and rip out your throat.

My main worry with RE5 is, simply put, that it won't have fixed the problems RE4 created. Swarms of enemies just aren't scary, not when you're armed to the teeth. Now, throwing in an invicible enemy that quietly and constantly stalks you, or nasty enemies that look the same hidden in the crowd and you got something more interesting. Or even make the path finding AI smarter and give them the capacity to pull of minor ambushes and such. The ganados are never gonna be awesome but they could be enough to scare you, done right.

And they've said fear and puzzles are comming back, so I'm hopeful that it simply isn't gonna RE4+. And the + stands for more guns, more enemies, and less thinking.

On the plus side, however, I'm down right certain the story will be better. Pretty much anything will be.

Comment

@Darkmoon Finally, someone who thinks the same way I do. I mean, c'om it could have been a lot better than this, but I don't want to get into details... it's been already disscussed here.

@ChrisRedfield29 With all due respect, what's it to you if we dislike RE5? You can't state who's a real fan of RE or not just because we dislike RE5, playing RE4 or RE5 doesn't make you a REAL fan of the series. We share different opinions. I mean, you'll find a lot of different points of view here. Also, why if people doesn't want to buy RE5? Is that a sin? We can say that it looks like RE4 or that it will not be great, as you say it will be great and fun, we have the right to do the same, the fact it's not what you all think about it doesn't mean we are less fans of the series.

I'm tired of those who blames those who doesn't like the game, c'om... we are not allowed to say that RE4 wasn't that great, and now we can't say that RE5 it's practically the same game just with different characters?.

Take it or not, we think differently ;).

Comment

What's it to me if anyone dislikes RE5? Well, for one, no one's played it yet.

I think everyone, Resident Evil fans ESPECIALLY, should give it a chance.

Comment

What is it with people saying RE5 is exactly like 4?
            Really, is it the ganados? or maybe the same game mechanic? I could say the same about 0, 1, 2, 3, and CV -thats 5 games there
            For that I could say RE3 was basically the same as RE2, same game, different people.

I can guarantee if RE4 was about zombies it would not have done as good as it did, meaning it was time for a change in the series. I know people have their own opinions and I have absolutely no problem with it. I dont think you have to have liked RE4 either to be a fan of the series. But judging a game before it has even come out? I mean, for the people who dont like the way RE5 is turning out, what would you have done differently to keep the series alive? I personally like what they are doing with the game, the mystery woman, Jills death, Spencer, and most of all they brought back Chris.
            Last edited by CODE_umb87; 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

do we need a countdown in october?

Comment

I like the storyline, but the ganados and Sheva's AI are my biggest issues to date. The ganados because, for a supposedly smart enemy, they're dumb as hell. I swear, in RE4 I quite often grouped five or six of them together against a wall because they couldn't work out how to get to me. Add in to that there standard tactic is to paint a big target on there forehead, run to the point where you can shoot them easily and then very slowly walk towards you and I honestly prefer zombies.

And Sheva's AI, given Enrico's report, is far from what was promised. An item gobbling gun platform is not my idea of fun, really, nor is being forced to take her with me.

Now, if the ganados were capable of even a little planning, like hiding beneath a window sill and reaching out to drag you into the building, or waiting behind a corner, rather than blindly and, sometimes, badly charging you I think the game would have some real fear factor. Or, as I mentioned, hiding more dangerous enemies in with them. But Sheva is gonna be the real make or break part for me.

Comment

well enrico did play the demo maybe they will have the ai for sheva fixed by time the game comes out

Comment

Let's see... It's confirmed that RE5 will have Ganados, Merchant System, RE4's mechanics, lack of zombies and T-Virus, bad voice actor for Wesker... And obviously it's including RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles into its canon. It's a lost cause of a game. Not gonna bother with it.

Comment

Agreed. Although the only thing I'd probably find interesting is how they advance the story.... Even though they took away one of my favorite friggin' characters.

Comment

Im not here to attack someone, but I will say this.

Biohazard 5 in many ways seem like 4. But I dont see that as something bad. Everytime Biohazard has evolved, it has always been in a situation of being able to recreate whats vital. Im sure this will go for Biohazard 5 as well. Also, I believe Biohazard should be given loyalty and belief. Also I question wheter much of the game has been seen by now.

Comment

The problem is there not adding anything new it just looks like crap recycled from re4 it's like zero you might as well be playing in the original re1 mansion that game died for me after the train.
                          I was hoping RE5 would have a darker atmosphere and terror along with a stronger plot line because of Chris and Wesker, I'm still the hoping the 2nd is true as it'll be it's only redeemable feature cos all RE5 looks like at moment is RE4 with more enemies on the screen.
                          If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

But not much of the game has been shown. Because of that, much of what is in the game is unknown.

Comment

K, have fun with Silent Hill: Homecoming. RE5 won't miss you guys.

Comment

I already bought and played Homecoming, and I enjoyed it. They managed to stay true to the Silent Hill formula (though not quite with the caliber of the previous titles, but for an American team they did a hell of an attempt to make it good) while adding changes, for better or for worse. Some I liked, some I could do without. However, it was nothing so drastic. And it wasn't exactly in the wrong direction. That's where RE4 messed up.

I agree. Resident Evil needed a lot of change. It was starting to get stale with the formula. Now they could've done a lot with the story. Wesker has been working with his viruses for some time, so he could've synthesized a new virus and needed test subjects. Boom, there are your smart, fast enemies. After kidnapping the president's daughter, knowing Leon was a government agent, he could've unleashed it where they did in RE4 (in Spain/Europe) to use Leon as a lab rat, more or less.

It didn't have to be these ages-old gigantic parasites that listen to your every command via a "living" high-frequency staff.

The over-the-shoulder could've opened up a whole new way to horror. No longer can you be afraid of what's off the camera angle, but now you have to fear what's all around you.

Instead, you get more or less infinite ammo and health, a bad kung fu representation with insane strength (sending an entire group to the ground with one fell kick? Bruce Lee you are not, Leon), superhuman jumps and dodges, superhumans (Saddler transforming into something that big in such a short time? El Gigante?), cheesy action-movie one-liners and comebacks, and Ashley.

I won't even make a glance towards RE5. Without mentioning anything about Jill's death or anything about what we've seen, the fact that the developers had been "seriously considering" adding Akuma from Street Fighter into the game (and they might still be considering it) was an instant "no buy" for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X