Resident Evil 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
    Did the older games give you some tools to defend yourself? Absolutely. But the only reward you usually got for killing enemies was that they were out of your path (since you'd probably have to backtrack through the area at some point). In the newer games, you get glowing goodies for killing the enemies, encouraging you to do so.
    Well, you have to think of the situation. Excluding RE1 which was ammo-scarce to begin with, in RE2 I would gather around 100+ pistol rounds and that would do me through the game (the way I played at least). The overall slowness and relatively small amount of enemies warranted less ammo so they could hide a box here and there in the environment and that was enough.

In RE4/5 the enemies come so thick and fast you can blow through a hundred rounds in one location... They can't have the occasional, totally-not-out-of-place ammunition truck parked in the French/Spanish Pyrenees or in the middle of a West African marshland. XD They had to use a different game mechanic to supply all those bullets. I mean, if we're willing to suspend belief when giant engineered Tyrants stomp around and there are viruses that make you super human, an enemy dropping some rounds (or money) isn't that much weirder.

And the argument that less enemies in said games would alleviate that problem wouldn't work either, because having two villagers in a whole village or a handful of manjinis in an entire town would be silly and wouldn't work with the situation.
    Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 05-21-2012, 01:48 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

• It is quite possible to play through the RE games, killing everything and still having surplus ammo. However, I think it's fair to say that it's much, much easier to run dangerously low on ammo in the early games than in RE4/RE5. With the exception of one scene in the castle I never have ammo issues in RE4.

If it was me, I would have reduced the number of Ganado/Majini by half or even two thirds, but have them be tougher and smarter. Ambush attacks, distract and flank, etc. I have no idea how much more difficult it would be to have the enemy AI like that, though. Maybe hordes of dumb enemies was the only way to go.

Comment

• If you are finding it to easy with the ammo in RE5 then play through the game with only a handgun, shoutgun and rifle with no upgrades on hard. Hell of alot more difficult.

Comment

• That's how I play RE5. No upgrades, using only weapons you find on your way. The same with ammo. I never use the shop between chapters. It is much more fun and some battles are actually pretty challenging.
          Last edited by Dark_Chris; 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM.
          Spoiler:

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
            I was under the impression that the T-virus infects and kills an individual, reanimating their corpse after some brief "down time." Is this not the case?
            Those are the movies Click image for larger version

Name:	teehee.png
Views:	2
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	401223

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonElder View Post
              If you are finding it to easy with the ammo in RE5 then play through the game with only a handgun, shoutgun and rifle with no upgrades on hard. Hell of alot more difficult.
              Originally posted by Dark_Chris View Post
              That's how I play RE5. No upgrades, using only weapons you find on your way. The same with ammo. I never use the shop between chapters. It is much more fun and some battles are actually pretty challenging.
              ...is it really my job to make the game suitably difficult? It's kinda like knifing my way through RE1 - I probably could, if I really wanted to, but if that's what I need to do to make it more challenging maybe I need another game instead?

Comment

• Technically, Zombies are the undead. In a way.

The t-Virus has to be in the body prior to "death" (in reality more like suspended animation, since the virus prevents full host death once in the body), and it will begin to do whatever it is the virus does to "revive" the host. If you injected it into a corpse it would do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, if you inject the G-Virus into a corpse, it will be revived in some form (so far all we know of is a rather zombie-like creature... and an arm).
                Last edited by News Bot; 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                  I'm hoping because the C -Virus appears to be spider based (the RE6 logo has those webs and enemies with the multiple eyes) I'm hoping that we see some spider like mutations, maybe if a enemy is damaged a lot they will burst out into a almost full on fast moving spider creature? well I can hope.
                  Don't forget that Jake's coat has a spider logo on the shoulder (clearly visible in his character render). HMMMMM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                    I've played every RE on release day aside from RE1 which a I got after playing in a shop a couple weeks after release. From RE2 onwards I blasted the crap out of everything that even looked at me wrong and never had issues outside of the first Nemesis encounter in RE3, the only exception I think. You even get rewarded for fighting with ammo or weapons on some of the 'big' enemies like Tyrant or Nemesis.
                    That clearly sounds like playing the games on a 2nd/3rd run. It's not something most people would do on a first run and back when the games first came out. With limited external sources to help them out (unlike today - with gamefaqs)

A RE3 n00b wouldn't even think of beating Nemesis the first time he/she faces him with the puny weapons available at the beginning and on a first run. And because you don't beat him, you don't get ANY hints that there are any "rewards" to be had. You follow me? You have to drop his ass first to find out the rewards are there. But you don't do that on your first try/experience with the game. On a first run, you also don't exactly know how many bullets the Nemesis can take before it dies (heck, you don't even know if he dies).

So again, on a first run playing these games when they first came out, you cannot possibly know what you're facing (unless you played the games well after they came out and/or got information on what to do and expect, like by way of a walktrough online - not really an option back then). It would be incredibly stupid to go around killing everything in sight on a first run, BTW. Considering that you had to think that it was very likely that a boss or two would eventually come your way and you would need every bullet in your inventory. Playing recklessly would only get you too many "You Are Dead" screens.

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                    Playing RE1 is enough experience to know how to handle yourself in further games straight from the first playthrough. At least it was for me, the gameplay never had drastic changes and ammo is plentiful unlike RE1. In RE1 it takes quite a while before you access the shotgun, especially as Chris. Look at RE2/3/CV, RE2 get new weapon after the first door, RE3 you get one in less than a minute from the starting room, CV you get the MP-100 3 minutes in only. Those games wanted you to fight and gave you the tools to do it.
                    Yeah but you're forgetting something: you get weapons alright, but you don't get enough ammo to start blasting every zombie in sight with it. And because you had limited ammo, the games actually wanted you to learn how to use them wisely. If not, you would find ammo for the magnum all over the place and often. You really don't.

So here we have a clear difference between how things used to be, and how they are at present. Modern RE games reward you with ammo and supplies VERY often. Every enemy or barrel/box hides ammo and health items. The old games did it when you knew where to look and the rewards were mostly useful on a second run. That was by design, to add to the replay value of them.
                    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      Technically, Zombies are the undead. In a way.

The t-Virus has to be in the body prior to "death" (in reality more like suspended animation, since the virus prevents full host death once in the body), and it will begin to do whatever it is the virus does to "revive" the host. If you injected it into a corpse it would do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, if you inject the G-Virus into a corpse, it will be revived in some form (so far all we know of is a rather zombie-like creature... and an arm).
                      The reason why the person looks dead being that virus causes necrosis, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ValentineLover View Post
                        The reason why the person looks dead being that virus causes necrosis, right?
                        That's correct.
                        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

This makes more sense, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                            That clearly sounds like playing the games on a 2nd/3rd run. It's not something most people would do on a first run and back when the games first came out. With limited external sources to help them out (unlike today - with gamefaqs)

A RE3 n00b wouldn't even think of beating Nemesis the first time he/she faces him with the puny weapons available at the beginning and on a first run. And because you don't beat him, you don't get ANY hints that there are any "rewards" to be had. You follow me? You have to drop his ass first to find out the rewards are there. But you don't do that on your first try/experience with the game. On a first run, you also don't exactly know how many bullets the Nemesis can take before it dies (heck, you don't even know if he dies).

So again, on a first run playing these games when they first came out, you cannot possibly know what you're facing (unless you played the games well after they came out and/or got information on what to do and expect, like by way of a walktrough online - not really an option back then). It would be incredibly stupid to go around killing everything in sight on a first run, BTW. Considering that you had to think that it was very likely that a boss or two would eventually come your way and you would need every bullet in your inventory. Playing recklessly would only get you too many "You Are Dead" screens.
                            I said the first Nemesis encounter is the only exception, no game really thows an enemy so powerful at you that early, but once you enter the RPD you find either a Magnum or Grenade launcher for the second encounter onwards which gives you enough firepower to take him down. Since he is similar to the RE2 Tyrant it isn't exactly a leap of faith to assume you can bring him down for a while and get a reward for it, first time through.

Yeah but you're forgetting something: you get weapons alright, but you don't get enough ammo to start blasting every zombie in sight with it. And because you had limited ammo, the games actually wanted you to learn how to use them wisely. If not, you would find ammo for the magnum all over the place and often. You really don't.
                            You do get enough ammo for what you face though, you find the shotgun early but aside from very few lickers you don't even need it most of the time and the handgun does away with everything, you soon start finding you have excess shotgun (and later Magnum) rounds because the enemies you saving them for few and far between, should handgun ammo drindle a bit you got this massive reserve of power weapon ammo to fall back on.
                            Last edited by Dracarys; 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM.
                            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

As I understand it, the host has no memory of their "former life" when they are a zombie, and exist solely to eat (their memory is permanently eradicated by the virus). Is this correct?

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post

So very, very true. Well said.

The new games don't do this. Aside from what some may consider meager ammo supplies during the pueblo battle at the beginning of RE4, there's globs of ammo and health everywhere. In RE5, you don't have much on a fresh run after the first Majini encounter, but hand-holding in the form of Sheva tells you to run away because you can't fight them (as opposed to the player having to learn it on their own). It's really sad that people don't want a challenge these days.
                              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Ummm, Hilda did remember Manuela and Javier. And Forest in the pachislot)

Birkin obviously does though.
                                Last edited by ValentineLover; 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X