No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead space is still scary at times, when you don't know what to expect. And you also feel the stress of being out of ammo, and surrounded by monsters who's behavior can't necessarily be anticipated. I'm thinking about these rooms when you hear the monsters, it's dark, you see them running around, but their attacks are totally random.

I think that it's something Resident Evil has lost. Dead Space is better at everything it does compared to resident evil. Its only problem is that past the first half of the game it always turns into some kind of mindless shooter once we upgrade weapons/armor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
      Nostalgia goggles off.

Seriously. The "horror" of the older RE games is a joke narrowed down to technical limitations and a couple of monster closets.

I dare claim that the first Chainsaw Ganado in RE4 and ... Mayday...mayday...mayday... from Revelations were far more terrifying than pretty much anything the RE series of days of yonder ever provided.
      Too annoying and laughable, in my opinion, to ever be scary. I had to fucking mute my DS during that boss battle.

Comment

• Nostalgia out the window, the atmosphere in the old ones is just basically the ambient soundtrack. Which is the kind of thing I like. The miniboss type characters in RE4-5 are panicky at first, but just boils down to running around in circles taking shots after a minute or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
          Nostalgia goggles off.

Seriously. The "horror" of the older RE games is a joke narrowed down to technical limitations and a couple of monster closets.

I dare claim that the first Chainsaw Ganado in RE4 and ... Mayday...mayday...mayday... from Revelations were far more terrifying than pretty much anything the RE series of days of yonder ever provided.
          Bold words sir.

I don't think the "horror" of the older games was solely dependant on monsters. They used isolation, which is basically nonexistent now, and atmosphere to draw the player in and make certain situations a lot scarier than they really were. As for the newer games having more terrifying enemies, I'd have to say Lisa Trevor trumps them all.
          Last edited by REmaster; 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM.
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
          Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• I honestly don't even care that much about the horror elements anymore; I just want Capcom to make a great RE game again. RE6 is far from it. Something like RE4 would be great; its plot was shit, but as a game it was incredible. The forced AI partner thing has done nothing but diminish my interest in this once great series, and even for the horror enthusiasts, it's hard not to argue against forced AI partners. Even Revelations, an exclusively single-player game, felt the need to have an AI partner with you for most of the duration, decreasing the immersion factor and the horror.

I guess the way I see it is that atmosphere is more important than horror. If they can do both, great.
            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by REmaster View Post
              Bold words sir.

I don't think the "horror" of the older games was solely dependant on monsters. They used isolation, which is basically nonexistent now, and atmosphere to draw the player in and make certain situations a lot scarier than they really were. As for the newer games having more terrifying enemies, I'd have to say Lisa Trevor trumps them all.
              Regenerators are, IMO, still the scariest thing the series has ever seen, bar none. And even if we limited ourselves to just REmake, I'd say Crimson Heads were more terrifying than Lisa (who's still a great enemy, don't get me wrong, but not the scariest thing by any stretch).
              A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

• The first time you encountered the Regenerators ... man ... after all you'd been through up until that point ... there was just no telling what something like "that" would be capable of + the great sound design when one of them has an open path to Leon's current position ... Christ, I don't think I've ever wanted someone to be dead, stay dead and to die as fast as (in)humanly possible as during the first encounter with a Regenerator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                  I honestly don't even care that much about the horror elements anymore; I just want Capcom to make a great RE game again. RE6 is far from it. Something like RE4 would be great; its plot was shit, but as a game it was incredible.
                  In contrast to RE6, I'd say RE4s side story was pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                    Both have interesting aspects, but they are overshadowed by lack of exposition where it's actually needed.
                    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Of all the games, I'd say Crimson heads, Lisa Trevor, Zombie Forest, The zombie doctor from CV, and Regenerators creeped me out the most. Nemesis is an honorable mention but just got annoying after the first seven or eight encounters. Absolutely nothing scared me in RE5 or RE6 for that matter, although if I had to pick something it would be the rascally Rasklapanje since they resemble a Regenerator/ooze hybrid both in appearance and extreme durabilty, and you often encounter them in close quarters.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                        Both have interesting aspects, but they are overshadowed by lack of exposition where it's actually needed.
                        If 4 had some more back story on Saddler(In game), Salazar, and Luis it would have been a lot more helpful, if they went more in depth with the plagas Parasite in game that would have been really nice.

I remember that Salazars family had the plagas parasites hidden/sealed away for,what 2 centuries or so? but thats it.
                        Last edited by Wrathborne; 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
                          Regenerators are, IMO, still the scariest thing the series has ever seen, bar none.
                          I don't know if I'd personally consider them the "most scary," but they're up there for sure. Crimson heads, chimeras, mimicry Marcuses, lickers shrieking out from behind blind corners in RE2, Skagdeads, and Rachael make the list, too. I might even throw the first two or three chainsaw Ganados in the village on that list, as well, although their environment makes them a bit more frightening.

Many of the creatures from RE2 and RE3 would have been more terrifying if the graphics had been on par with Remake's and RE0's. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                          Both [4 and 6] have interesting aspects, but they are overshadowed by lack of exposition where it's actually needed.
                          I can agree with this. In 6's case, the files should have been found in the game and not by shooting the serpent emblems. I love hunting for hidden stuff, but that hidden stuff shouldn't have been files critical to the understanding of the game's plot. I liked how 5 did this better, with the extra costumes and such. Another problem I have is that the complete files were not in the game itself but rather relegated to RE.net. This is simply unacceptable if you ask me.

As far as 4 goes, I think they should have focused more on the dark vibe shown during the ending credits in the actual game itself. Once Leon headed to the castle, the game took itself far less seriously, and much of the atmosphere was lost. And while I found many of Leon's terrible one-liners hilarious, they didn't help make the game more ominous and horror-themed. The parasite idea was very dark, with the once-peaceful villagers losing their humanity to a religious madman's lucky biological discovery, but this was not the way the game was presented.
                          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                            I wouldn't call anything plot related in RE4 good.
                            Ada's story was surely much better than Leon's but it's still in the same stupid setting. Ada's Chapter 4 in RE6 > anything in RE4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alkar View Post
                              I wouldn't call anything plot related in RE4 good.
                              Las Plagas.

Comment

• Chris VS 32-bit era Leon

Spoiler warning and awesomeness warning! This cutscene is from rather late into the Leon campaign.This mod progress is rather short, but the next one will be...

BTW, is there any truth to the rumors that most of the cutscenes in the game aren't real-time? I heard some people saying this, but the quality of the cutscenes (on the PS3, at least) look too lossless for it to be just video footage.
                                Seibu teh geimu?
                                ---

Comment

Working...
                                X