Why Sherry Being "Superhuman" Is Not New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rehunk88 View Post
    so actually sherry, is worth alot now to some.... ( how can you say) Bio company If she got the smallest hint of the G virus in her.
    This is a good point. Sherry may not be the only source of G virus samples floating around, but she's the only person in the world who is immune to the virus and quite possibly the only true G human. I'm curious why the U.S. Government would send her on a dangerous mission alone (a mission arguably better suited to Special Forces/Navy Seals/etc.)...unless someone has ulterior motives for letting Sherry loose.

Originally posted by rehunk88
    So jake, is really at same stage as Wesker in resident evil 1?
    I think there's a good chance this may be true. We now know that Wesker was naturally resistant and/or compatible with that experimental virus he got from Birkin. That was part of the purpose of the Wesker Children project. Since Jake is his son, he presumably has that same compatibility and thus the same potential.

But if Jake is supposed to be the "cure," where does that make Sherry?

Originally posted by Vito
    What I find funny is that by Degeneration which occurs 7 years after Raccoon City, no one has improved/completed the G-Virus.
    R&D for real-life drugs can get stalled for years on end. Considering that the G virus is used for bioterrorism, its development was secretive to begin with, and every other group that took up G virus research after Umbrella's fall had to do so furtively, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that little progress was made.
    Last edited by Tyrant Rose; 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrant Rose View Post
      This is a good point. Sherry may not be the only source of G virus samples floating around, but she's the only person in the world who is immune to the virus and quite possibly the only true G human. I'm curious why the U.S. Government would send her on a dangerous mission alone (a mission arguably better suited to Special Forces/Navy Seals/etc.)...unless someone has ulterior motives for letting Sherry loose.
      Yeah if sherry is so importen, it would make no sense... for the goverment to send her in the field... even if she is ( maby a bodyguard to jake) but still she's to importen, for a mission like that.. leon also looks suprised to see her.. i bet It's the last place, he would expect to meet her... and hell if sherry ( the goverment) is on to Jake wesker... ( he is very importen) so it makes no sense to send sherry only. ( but we dont know the details 100% so i cant be sure about any of this)

Originally posted by Tyrant Rose View Post
      I think there's a good chance this may be true. We now know that Wesker was naturally resistant and/or compatible with that experimental virus he got from Birkin. That was part of the purpose of the Wesker Children project. Since Jake is his son, he presumably has that same compatibility and thus the same potential.

But if Jake is supposed to be the "cure," where does that make Sherry?.
      Who knows, maby there is to much chaos ... that the goverment sends It's last straw out ( in this case) sherry. maby the goverment already have all teams out.. ( as leon is too) hell even the whole bsaa is all over china.. so it has to be something big.
      or maby they just simply sends out sherry, because she got the powers,
      so she's the only one.. who can somehow handle jake.

Comment

I still think Sherry is being tested by someone. She doesn't know it, of course. She just thinks she's on a mission.

Comment

Wherever it was intended or not for the series to have superhuman characters, one thing we know for sure: It didn't affect the GAMEPLAY up to this point. And this was so thanks to the fact that the superhuman characters were usually the villains not the protagonists you played as.

But not until RE6 have we been given a Dragon Ball Z fugitive as characters we could control and play with (on the campaign mode).

See, most of you are babbling about the plotline and characters and viruses. But the thing is RE games didn't have Wesker or Lisa Trevor as characters you could control in story mode. Instead, they had relatively well-trained human beings going up against incredible odds. That's where the SURVIVAL aspect came into play. Because you were human after all. That's why the games were so interesting. You could almost relate to the protagonists.

But if you were playing as Neo or Superman, it would be a silly idea to expect anyone get worked up over beating some zombies with such uber-powerful characters. Cuz the sense of fear goes out the window.

We saw some of that with Leon in RE4 for instance. The fact he was like a damn Ninja/Shaolin Monk made it very hard to get scared at anything that came your way. Now imagine playing with someone like Jake or Sherry (who are more powerful than Leon). Its fine for an action game. But not for a survival-horror game.

So while some will regurgitate some canon/plotline stuff to make it seem like nothing is new here, the fact is by adding such superhuman characters the gameplay will be affected (potentially, in a big way). And therefore, it's not business as usual for the series, unless the series started for them with 5 and ORC.

The gameplay was never about controlling a superhuman characters and having to beat a game with 'em. That would be like playing a Super Mario game with a cheat that gave Mario the Star Power thingy for the entirety of the game. LAME.

Last edited by Pikminister; 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM.
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
            Wherever it was intended or not for the series to have superhuman characters, one thing we know for sure: It didn't affect the GAMEPLAY up to this point. And this was so thanks to the fact that the superhuman characters were usually the villains not the protagonists you played as.

But not until RE6 have we been given a Dragon Ball Z fugitive as characters we could control and play with (on the campaign mode).

See, most of you are babbling about the plotline and characters and viruses. But the thing is RE games didn't have Wesker or Lisa Trevor as characters you could control in story mode. Instead, they had relatively well-trained human beings going up against incredible odds. That's where the SURVIVAL aspect came into play. Because you were human after all. That's why the games were so interesting. You could almost relate to the protagonists.

But if you were playing as Neo or Superman, it would be a silly idea to expect anyone get worked up over beating some zombies with such uber-powerful characters. Cuz the sense of fear goes out the window.

We saw some of that with Leon in RE4 for instance. The fact he was like a damn Ninja/Shaolin Monk made it very hard to get scared at anything that came your way. Now imagine playing with someone like Jake or Sherry (who are more powerful than Leon). Its fine for an action game. But not for a survival-horror game.

So while some will regurgitate some canon/plotline stuff to make it seem like nothing is new here, the fact is by adding such superhuman characters the gameplay will be affected (potentially, in a big way). And therefore, it's not business as usual for the series, unless the series started for them with 5 and ORC.

The gameplay was never about controlling a superhuman characters and having to beat a game with 'em. That would be like playing a Super Mario game with a cheat that gave Mario the Star Power thingy for the entirety of the game. LAME.[IMG]
            Not new to the series in general. Whether it is gameplay or story is irrelevant.

And once again, one scenario in a three (four?) scenario game suddenly destroys the series by using an element that has been in the series since it actually became a series and was/is the most important aspect of the overall plot?
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Well said, Pik. That's pretty much how I see it, too.

I understand that Sherry having "superpowers" can be explained via the events of prior games; that's fine. What bugs me are the changes that this will bring to the gameplay itself, not the canon aspects of it on the storyline. Sometimes I feel that people care far too much about the story and characters in games that they don't stop to look at how it will affect the gameplay. I love the story of the RE series (less so in more recent installments), but I play games for the gameplay. I don't want to run around as "superhumans," super-kicking, super-punching, and super-smashing zombies and J'avo throughout the game. It might as well be as silly as Super Mario.

The original draw of this series to me (and to many others) was the vulnerability you felt; you could die at any moment. This changed a bit with all the ridiculous shit in RE4 and RE5 (mostly the melee moves and impossible cutscene action), but it's going full-on insane with RE6. And that's not a good thing for the future of this series. I think it's fairly obvious that Capcom are possibly grooming Sherry and Jake to be the future protagonists of the series. If this is the case, pretty much all traces of the pre-RE4 games will be gone.
              Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM.
              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

The irony is that Sherry and Jake's scenario has been described as one big chase sequence with intermitten melee combat sequences. There's still plenty of potential for suspense and survival. You're not invincible, there would be no point to the scenario at all if you were.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  The irony is that Sherry and Jake's scenario has been described as one big chase sequence with intermitten melee combat sequences. There's still plenty of potential for suspense and survival. You're not invincible, there would be no point to the scenario at all if you were.
                  That's right - they aren't invincible. The trailers show Jake taking plenty of damage and, quite frankly, looking worse for wear.

Comment

Hell even sherry takes a big punch from the big monster.

Comment

• It'll all depend on the enemies. If the chase is only five minute long despite what's said, and the rest of the time it's a God of War deathcatholon style event, then i'll be fairly awful. If it's true about the chase and the enemies are touch even with super strength, then it could work.

Comment

• I expect a built up fistfight showdown between Jake and the Hulk-thing, much like Alice vs Nemesis in RE Apocalypse.
                        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                          I expect a built up fistfight showdown between Jake and the Hulk-thing, much like Alice vs Nemesis in RE Apocalypse.
                          Oh god, dont remind me..... it might be the worst filmed fight scene i have ever seen in my life ....

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                            Sherry and Jake's scenario has been described as one big chase sequence
                            Shouldn't be too difficult with "super" speed.
                            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                              Shouldn't be too difficult with "super" speed.

Comment

• What?? Umm... okay. Anyways, very cool find News Bot! If Sherry hadn't received the DEVIL vaccine, then would she still have been an adapter to the virus? Or is it similar to Jill with t where she needed the antibody (or vaccine) to "neutralize" it?

Really looking forward to the E3 footage!

Comment

Working...
                                X