Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vector View Post
    As if Drake didn't already look enough like Rick O'Connell, now they're adding these scarab things to the mix. I'm not ready to judge the game just yet, though, especially considering they've said that only part of the game takes place in the desert.
    I haven't played any Uncharted games. Is it normally that.. Fantasy-ish? I was under the impression that they were more realistic.

Also with Golden Abyss, a lot of people seem to be making the argument that Uncharted is best as a big screen (console) experience, not an "on the go" experience. Those who have played Uncharted, is this true? I was looking forward to experiencing Uncharted for the first time on a new system..
    Last edited by PracticalAl; 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• If you own a PS3, you really owe it to yourself to at least try out the Uncharted games. As far as it being unfit for a portable experience? I dunno. As far as your fantasy question, you're better off playing it yourself than having me trying to explain anything, but I'll say this: Naughty Dog takes their liberties.

Comment

• I think it's clear enough to say that both Uncharted games become more fantasy in a real world setting as they go along, but that's the same to say of the sorts of adventure serials and movies that inspired them. I think what draws people to the series is the whole package, and you either love it or hate it - I have met very few people who are inbetween.

As for Golden Abyss, I guess the experience of the PS3 titles is that they're very cinematic so watching them on a large screen benefits that ideal. That said, the gameplay is solid and would just be as fun to play on anything and so I guess thats what they're going for. Especially if the portable supports a multiplayer option.
        Last edited by Rombie; 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vector View Post
          If you own a PS3, you really owe it to yourself to at least try out the Uncharted games. As far as it being unfit for a portable experience? I dunno. As far as your fantasy question, you're better off playing it yourself than having me trying to explain anything, but I'll say this: Naughty Dog takes their liberties.
          Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I've wanted to buy Uncharted for quite awhile. But our PS3 is downstairs and is the designated 'family entertainment center'. I need a month-ahead-of-time reservation to even get an hour's use of it. I've given up on it completely. Thats why I was looking forward to the NGP title..

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
          I think it's clear enough to say that both Uncharted games become more fantasy in a real world setting as they go along, but that's the same to say of the sorts of adventure serials and movies that inspired them. I think what draws people to the series is the whole package, and you either love it or hate it - I have met very few people who are inbetween.

As for Golden Abyss, I guess the experience of the PS3 titles is that they're very cinematic so watching them on a large screen benefits that ideal. That said, the gameplay is solid and would just be as fun to play on anything and so I guess thats what they're going for. Especially if the portable supports a multiplayer option.
          Thanks! I don't mind fantasy at all, in fact, I love fantasy. If it's anything even remotely close to, let's say, Indiana Jones, I'm sure I will adore it. And I'm not too worried about the portable Uncharted. Worse comes to worse, I can always wait for reviews.
          sigpic

Comment

• If you like Indiana Jones then you will love Uncharted for sure. No doubt about it.

Comment

• ^ Seconded. If you like Indiana Jones, then it'll definitely hold it's interest for you.

The other thing I forgot to say about the cinematic concept is that the PS3 titles are very nice looking games, Uncharted 2 in particular is one of the best looking titles on the console, and so I guess there is an issue in thought of putting that onto a portable. The impressions of what's been shown off so far though seems to be that the team working on it has nailed that part because numerous press outlets are already calling Golden Abyss the reason to get the NGP.

Going back to the collectors set, I'll be buying this one. It was disappointing with the basic collectors set they made for Uncharted 2 (especially considering the prize packs they were giving away with the replica dagger), so I'm happy to grab this one.

Comment

• I'll be picking up the CE as well, the Drake statue will provide a good companion to Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Comment

• The co-op debut on GameTrailersTV was pretty cool...seems like it'll be more cinematic than Uncharted 2's co-op. But the biggest thing they showed was vertical gunplay -- Drake and Sully climbing up a tower with enemies shooting down at them. Drake was able to take cover behind some concrete bulging from the tower, peek out and shoot as he was hanging for dear life. It looked pretty sweet.

Comment

• How is the gameplay/cutscene ratio? For instance, do you play for about 15 minutes, then watch 50 minutes of cutscenes? I'm all for a strong story and cinematic experience, but I find alot of next-gen games have you do more watching than playing.

(And thanks again to all who answered my questions! I'm defintiely even more eager to play Uncharted, as well as watch the coverage of the NGP Uncharted unfold. E3 is just around the corner now. I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF. ..)
                    Last edited by PracticalAl; 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                      How is the gameplay/cutscene ratio? For instance, do you play for about 15 minutes, then watch 50 minutes of cutscenes?
                      Don't worry it's not MGS. All the cutscenes of uncharted are short in length.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                        Don't worry it's not MGS. All the cutscenes of uncharted are short in length.
                        Good to know. Thank you!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hunters Mode gameplay
                          sigpic

Comment

• Favorite thing I've seen about the new multiplayer so far -- the addition of hit-markers. I've always loved for games to have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                              Good to know. Thank you!
                              Just to further aris' comment, they try to incorporate a lot of the cutscenes in the game into the gameplay, they got more in the sequel of small chunks that work into the gameplay. It's something they're getting better at given the demos they've shown of the 3rd, things that may have originally been all cutscenes are now playable segements. More and more games are heading this way.

Comment

• Co-op trailer:

In a word...butt-fucking-amazing.

EDIT: Here's in-depth info about Hunters Mode

Once again...awesome.
                                Last edited by Vector; 06-03-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X