Most Overrated Films and Games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
    Pardon me because I'm pretty damn drunk right now, but this has to be one of the dumbest, most ignorant posts I've ever read.

If I pushed myself and practiced every day, I'd play center field for the Yankees? I'd take Melky Cabrera's job? I'd play goal for the Rangers? I'd take Henrik Lundqvist's job? I'd be catching passes from Brett Favre? I'd be a wide receiver in the NFL?

I'm sorry that I wasn't bred an athlete from birth, but I love sports for the competition and the entertainment. In order to fill these positions, you would need to dedicate your life to these causes. Growing up, I 'dedicated' my life to academics and friends. I was never the most gifted athlete, but I tried my best.

Point is...you're saying that ANYONE could push themselves and practice every day and become the best player at their position in the highest league of their sport? You...sir...are...LOST. It takes a lot more than determination to get where my idols are.
    Are you saying that not anyone can do anything they wish with their life?

If you really wanted to play with the people or teams you mentioned, and you trained and practiced hard enough you could do it. There is no doubt about it.

Anyways, don't call me ignorant or dumb because of your personnel problems about sport. I never meant anything personnel towards you.

I just think, if you can do something in real life why play a game about it? Same thing with books and films really.

Comment

• Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
      If you really wanted to play with the people or teams you mentioned, and you trained and practiced hard enough you could do it. There is no doubt about it.
      Except for the fact that I'm already 20 years old, and have had no professional training in my life.

I'm just gonna chalk this up to the fact that you're Australian and thus most likely have no idea about American professional sports. Even some of the best athletes in their state don't make it to the pros. It takes a large amount of skill, years of training and a degree of luck to make it to the top of your game, and even then you're guaranteed absolutely nothing.

Have you ever even played a sport in your life? The degree of difficulty as the leagues and levels of play progress are absolutely unimaginable, even to someone like me who eats, shits and breathes sports.

Also, I never said you yourself were dumb or ignorant -- but the post itself was.
      Last edited by Vector; 07-18-2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Well, yes, there are always reasons why something cannot be done. For example, you're simply not naturally very good. A five foot two inch person is never going to be a basketball star. And someone like me is never gonna play any sports...my knee is pretty much useless. Running leaves me barely able to walk and trust me, the only time I do it is when a small child heads for knives, hot pans or roads.

As to why people do things in games they could do in real life...well, part of it is as CR29 explains. 99% of the population simply cannot do those things in those locations with those people. For whatever reason. The other part is an element of fantasy, the same as anything else. The idea that you can affect your favourite team. That you could win the UFC world title. That you can lap Schumacher at a hundred and fidty miles an hour. Even if you were able to do the sports the chances are pretty good that you will never, ever be able to do those things anyway. I know a lot of wrestlers and racers play racing and wrestling games, for example.

Comment

I'm just gonna chalk this up to the fact that you're Australian and thus most likely have no idea about American professional sports.
          Chalk it up to the fact that he's ignorant.
          There's plenty of Australians that realise that now matter how hard they try, they'll never be able to be the best at something.

That's just not how the world works. I'm not sure the young one has figured that out yet ;)
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
            Chalk it up to the fact that he's ignorant.
            There's plenty of Australians that realise that now matter how hard they try, they'll never be able to be the best at something.

That's just not how the world works. I'm not sure the young one has figured that out yet ;)
            If everyone thought like that no one would ever achieve greatness.

If anyone can be president, anyone can become a top athlete if your willing and try hard enough. Provided you don't have a disability. But then, hay, there's the Olympics for disabled people too.

Just try and tell one of them they can't do something.

If a person who has previously broken there neck and was told they will never walk again, can become an Olympic runner or swimmer or something even if there over 20.

Then you can do anything with enough determination ok. So don't call me or my posts ignorant.

Did you know that when Albert Einstein was a kid, his maths teacher told him he would never amount to anything. And can you guess what he did with his life? Oh only the greatest mathematician/scientist the world has ever known. And he didn't even like maths during school.

Comment

^ I don't think Empire is overrated, Empire is my favorite.

Anyways there is a little known game that is very underrated in my opinion simply because it was branded as a movie tie in, for a not so popular movie.

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace Official Video game was great fun on the PS1. It was an action adventure/platformer/RPG. I have played it and replayed it many times before. I love the Tatooine levels the most and have played that countless times during my childhood. If anyone ever see's it anywhere and your a Star Wars fan I recommend picking it up. id say it's actually much better than the movie too.
              Nooooo...Jedi Power Battles did circles around that game!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                Nooooo...Jedi Power Battles did circles around that game!
                Nah, I never saw what was so cool about Jedi Power battles.

It was a hack n slash, that was overly hard at times. I didn't really get into it much.

Comment

Nah, I never saw what was so cool about Jedi Power battles.

It was a hack n slash, that was overly hard at times. I didn't really get into it much.
                  The RPG elements were great in it, and each character had unique abilites (Mace Windu kicked ass once he was pumped up) but you're right it is pretty much hack and slash with some impossible jumps.

I didn't care much for the Phantom Menace camera system, I think the only Star Wars games I still play are the Star Wars Arcade on SW:Rouge Squadron 3 and the Starfighter games...Jedi Outcast wasn't bad either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                    People have gotten just about everything. XD Oh, wait! Sports games. They're just not fun (in my opinion, of course.) If you want to play sports, go outside and play sports. No need to shell out another $60 each year because the developers added two extra features to the same game from last year.
                    As much as I hate the EA-s model of churning out the same game in a different package every time, you are completely wrong.

To sink your Titanic-of-an-argument, I shall bring forth the example of wanting to play games where you shoot people.

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                    Are you saying that not anyone can do anything they wish with their life?
                    Thats about right. A few examples excluded, in modern world, 99% of all of us are talentless. Vast majority of us are jealous idiots and only a number actually appreciate the talent and people who are bigger than us, sincerely.

Anyone thinking that "mind over matter" approach stands, I shall put you to a test- prove us all wrong and become the worlds best chess player in 15 years. I dont know how, but I will give you a million bucks if you can. And if youre gullible enough to try, youve already failed.

I am not really saying that noone should every try to become their best, but people who throw words around like - "If you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything" or "You have to be dedicated and then you can do it" as a rule really have absolutely no clue how much hard work and dedication actually goes into success. And considering that they are used to their usually below average existence, they think they are allowed to throw around cheap advice on something they have already accepted that they´ll never achieve.
                    Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 07-18-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Remember my earlier statement about Half-Blood Prince?

Yeah, it hasn't changed after seeing it. It's a terrible Harry Potter movie and only slightly edges out its terrible book counterpart.

The film makers would have been better off flipping JKR the bird and writing their own plot.

I'm just glad I didn't have to pay to see it.
                      A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                        The RPG elements were great in it, and each character had unique abilites (Mace Windu kicked ass once he was pumped up) but you're right it is pretty much hack and slash with some impossible jumps.

I didn't care much for the Phantom Menace camera system, I think the only Star Wars games I still play are the Star Wars Arcade on SW:Rouge Squadron 3 and the Starfighter games...Jedi Outcast wasn't bad either.
                        I did like Jedi Power battles, I just did think it was as great as everyone said it was. And your right about the camera is Phantom Menace, it's rather odly placed and weird at first but you get used to it after a while, it's never really a problem anyway.

Jedi Outcast was awesome, probably one of the best Star Wars games ever IMO. Rogue Sqaudron is great too. I need to get an N64 and get the first one, unless it's on the Wii, then I need to get a Wii.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                          See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                            As much as I hate the EA-s model of churning out the same game in a different package every time, you are completely wrong.

To sink your Titanic-of-an-argument, I shall bring forth the example of wanting to play games where you shoot people.
                            No no no, my argument was solely with sports games as you can go play sports in real life. As CR29 said, though, sports games allow you to be your favorite team. Even still, I just don't see the big appeal. Then again, I'm not a huge sports fan so I suppose I shouldn't have even commented.

Other than that, though, children, please don't emulate Halo and slice up the school with an energy sword. People don't respawn in real life.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
                              Remember my earlier statement about Half-Blood Prince?

Yeah, it hasn't changed after seeing it. It's a terrible Harry Potter movie and only slightly edges out its terrible book counterpart.

The film makers would have been better off flipping JKR the bird and writing their own plot.

I'm just glad I didn't have to pay to see it.
                              The only thing I liked about it was Snape, as usual.
                              "Not...so...fast, Potter"
                              Spoiler but not really
                              Spoiler:
                              Last edited by REmaster; 07-20-2009, 04:26 AM.
                              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Have you ever even played a sport in your life?
                                Yes actually I do. I play Football at my high school. American not the other types of football.

And Id rather play it in real life than play a video game version of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X