Most Overrated Films and Games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by REmaster View Post
    Yea it took awhile, but it was all worth it for the wrecks lol. Hmmm...Starbucks perhaps? I've had some local coffee that's much better. *twitches*
    I think that first big crash scene in Death Proof is one of the coolest car crashes in movie history. I liked the movie.

Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
    One of the most underrated horror movies - Event Horizon. And its directed by Paul Anderson.
    I agree here. Event Horizon was an amazing film, Anderson was actually good back on the 90's.

Another thing that was only good in the 90's was Starship Troopers. The first film is very very underrated, it's a fantastic movie.

Comment

• I love Star Wars so I'm just gonna single out Empire Strikes Back as overrated. Why so many list it as the best is beyond me. I vie Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith as more enjoyable than Luke getting lost in the snow and then whining about shit all the time. He was so awesome in ROTJ though.

Comment

• ^ I don't think Empire is overrated, Empire is my favorite.

Anyways there is a little known game that is very underrated in my opinion simply because it was branded as a movie tie in, for a not so popular movie.

Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace Official Video game was great fun on the PS1. It was an action adventure/platformer/RPG. I have played it and replayed it many times before. I love the Tatooine levels the most and have played that countless times during my childhood. If anyone ever see's it anywhere and your a Star Wars fan I recommend picking it up. id say it's actually much better than the movie too.

Comment

• I've been trying to get into Russian films, and I love Battleship Potemkin, Dude. Coincidentally enough I think Ivan the Terrible (another Eisenstein film) has arrived from Netflix. From there I want to get into Andrei Tarkovsky, I've seen Mirrors, and I've heard good things about Stalker and Solaris. Mirrors is a well shot stream of consciousness drama, the characterization and acting are well done. I really dig Russian literature (just read Bulgakov's Dead Man's Memoir and I'm currently on Sholokov's And Quiet Flows the Don) and I think it'd be great to get into Russian cinema.

Now to segue into a more on-topic comment, War and Peace. Bah, what a boring novel. I didn't think the language was particularly enticing and I couldn't stand the war scenes. I only enjoyed the Natasha Rostov character. I'll make my judgments regarding Tolstoy after I read Anna Karenina.

Comment

• Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
            Call of Duty 4 single player and console play? Absolutely.

Call of Duty 4 multiplayer on PC is the most polished and balanced experience that has been created during the last couple of years. Its one of the best suited FPS games for competitive gameplay. The games engine is exceptionally scalable and can run on very old machines while still looking good. The control of the character, interaction with the map and the fluidness (fluidity? crap) of the hand-eye coordination that the game offers is incredible. There is so many things you can do at once. Ditch that controller and take a spin on the PC, then try to join a clan and go for a few S&D matches. Its an incredible experience.
            Funny you should say that, because I don't play much multiplayer at all beyond the very very occasional LAN game between friends. I can't port forward on my internet (I spent a good hour and a half talking to an iiNet technician about it to no avail), and the pings are always 80 or above. I am really not fond of multiplayer at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              This is a rant, these are my opinions, so would people please not quote, belittle or argue the cases of my views, I won't answer back.

Games:

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
              Good, not great, and unbelievably overrated to the point where the world has raised Fumito Ueda on a godlike pedestal that he could quite frankly wipe his arse and we'd call it a arthouse gaming masterpiece.

Movies:
              Speaking of Overrated Garbage, anything made by Quentin Tarantino.
              Considering its common knowledge he watches movies, catalogues speeches and scenes and files them in order to reuse them later under the guise of "homage", this cancer merchant of a director molests and repackages Japanese cinema, throwing vulgar dialogue and weak pop culture references in to give it his own spin.
              The guys in no way an auteur, he's an arsehole.
              I've learned not to take Tarantino seriously. I do enjoy the camp of his movies though. So over the top, so horrifically terrible, that they're good.
              Last edited by Vogue_Dirge; 07-11-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• I've gotta do an assignment on whether Tarantino is an auteur or not for school. A vodcast. Should be interesting.

Comment

• Radiohead: I think they're OK, but I don't know why everyone says they're so phenomenal.
                  sigpic

Comment

• AVP isn't overrated but I'm mentioning it anyway.

I don't know what on earth the Strauss brothers were smoking to somehow turn the best Sci Fi Horror and Sci Fi Action films ever into a fucking teen slasher film but somehow did they it and got away with it!

AVP2 is just shit, it's nothing Alien or Predator were originally. How on earth they managed to make a bloody slasher out of it I don't know. But there worse that Anderson. At least the first half of AVP1 was good, it was well done the first half, but once they entered the pyramid it went to shit. AVP2 was just bad though.

At least AVP1 had something to do with both series and was at least somewhat a little like the original movies.

Comment

• AVP is just as bad as AVP2, if not even worse for being the first to take the jab at AVP franchise and fvck it up, royally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                        AVP is just as bad as AVP2, if not even worse for being the first to take the jab at AVP franchise and fvck it up, royally.
                        Yeah but at least the first part of the movie was ok. Whereas AVP2 just sucked all around.

There both terrible but I think AVP2 is much much worse. Also the amount of Aliens that died in AVP2 was stupid, it's like they were killing cockroaches. The Predator was way overpowered. Like a bloody Mary Sue. It took a bloody nuke to kill him. At least the Aliens killed a few predators in AVP1. It was slightly more even then. But there both crap movies anyway. Also the Aliens in AVP2 tended to only have Acid Blood when the directors thought it would make for a cool deaths scene. I mean in the hospital plenty are killed, but no walls or floor melt away at all! WTF?! And It took 2 fucking people to come up with that crap as well. And then, while watching special features they had the nerve to complain about the cold weather while filming, then went on and started slagging of Aliens, and said something about deliberately making the predator extra powerful cause they were predator fanboys. Fucking makes Anderson look like Spielberg. I mean even the one Alien that wasn't weak in the film was half bloody predator. That PredAlien was shit.
                        Last edited by missvalentine; 07-14-2009, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• as a predator die-hard, certain parts of AvP2 were pretty good for me to watch :p

Comment

• Originally posted by A-J View Post
                            as a predator die-hard, certain parts of AvP2 were pretty good for me to watch :p

I like Predator as well, I just like Alien better. I think they should have balanced them, not just made one Predator slaughter and entire army of Aliens.

I'm gonna go watch Predator again soon as well, maybe today.

Comment

• Well to be fair I thought AvP was shit because the predators were taken down way too easily. I mean, acid shouldn't be a factor because you're way underground, and you've got advanced weaponry, armor, and intelligence definitely above that of an overgrown predatory/parasitic animal. In my eyes the perfect AvP film would involve predators blasting alien heads off with their shoulder cannons. Some of them would die due to being overtaken by a large number of aliens. Nonetheless, predators would win, and then go on to their ship. AND THEN COMPETENT DIRECTORS COULD MAKE SLOW PACED ALIEN/PREDATOR FILMS AND WE'D ALL BE HAPPY.

Comment

• Unless people are like my friend who doesn't understand the sheer brilliance in the tension that is present all the way through Alien and simply calls it boring.
                                Last edited by BadWolfX; 07-14-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X