No announcement yet.

metal gear solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one comments on MGS's gameplay because no one plays the game for gameplay ;). The game itself always felt like a watered down Splinter Cell or some wonky third person shooter. What always drew me to the game was the over the top, convoluted mess of a plot that I can't help but try and follow ever lead of.

As far as worst MGS goes? Thats easy. Portable Ops was a horrible game. Reviewers were much to kind on it simply because there was nothing else to play on the PSP. Shitty controls, repetitive gameplay, and a general lack of feeling like you are working towards a goal. I seriously couldn't finish the game it was getting so boring, I ended up ripping the excellent cutscenes and just watching them and saving myself the pain. Then I sold my PSP and returned Portable Ops. Might sound a bit harsh but I made money on the deal ;).

Comment

Originally posted by Krispy View Post
      No one comments on MGS's gameplay because no one plays the game for gameplay ;). The game itself always felt like a watered down Splinter Cell or some wonky third person shooter.
      Says you, really. The core gameplay sans some balance issues with the camo in MGS3 is gold, period. It really shines with the misssions. I didn't like PO myself, but a lot of people did.

Watered down Splinter Cell? Get back on your medication Kris :p Splinter Cell started out as nothing more than a MGS wannabe with blatantly obvious "borrowed" elements. It was consistently boring from day one. The acclaim the first game got in particular was an anomaly I still don't get.

I got it on day one, only to find the trial and error gameplay to be extremely boring. Sure, they improved on that front later but the series cannot, and should not be compared to MGS. I found it rather amusing a while back when Chaos Theory "surprisingly" introduced a knife a year after MGS3's trailer.

Comment

The game itself always felt like a watered down Splinter Cell or some wonky third person shooter.
        umm .. lol ?

Comment

MGS2 is the only Solid game I completed. I've beaten both Ac!d games on PSP though.

Comment

I never played the games as they were released, I played them all at once. I was on a stealth game binge and while my opinion may be lowly and divergent, it comes simply out of observation devoid of a timeline. I did, in fact, play Chaos Theory before I played any of the MGS series which may have influenced my opinion, but if what you say is true than I believe it is a case of the student surpassing the master. I came across numerous points in MGS1/2 and eventually 3 where I would get noticed or run somewhere I didn't mean to or even die where I would say to myself "I wish this gameplay was more refined like Chaos Theory." Maybe it was the simple AI that ultimately got to me (nix the Boss fights which pretty much always delivered) or the repetitive level design but I would find myself trudging through the "meat" of the gameplay simply to get to the parts I would enjoy like the next boss event or story arc.

Maybe my opinions are simply askew in this particular crowd since I did enjoy Snake Eater with nearly as much earnest as I enjoyed Chaos Theory and yet that is apparently the most lambasted of the three.

Comment

I honestly haven't played 3 yet, however I have played both MGS1, MGS2, and Metal Gear (NES, just for kicks). I appreciate the amount of research/planning that goes into the storyline for these games. Kinda makes you wonder, "what if Capcom was like this with Resident Evil?"

Comment

if you want to play 3, play the subsistence version, the game with the new camera control is an absolute blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Omega View Post
                  I honestly haven't played 3 yet, however I have played both MGS1, MGS2, and Metal Gear (NES, just for kicks). I appreciate the amount of research/planning that goes into the storyline for these games. Kinda makes you wonder, "what if Capcom was like this with Resident Evil?"
                  what are you waiting for i loved the sorrow!! he was the best in that game

Comment

*RANT*

You know theres a problem with non-realistic cutscenes in MGS when in TTT Solid Snake would solve any problem with a backflip.

Ocelot shoots at him, 10ft backflip, rocket comes at him, backflip onto the rocket to redirect it and jump 20ft in the air to finish Liquid, Snake loses his weapon and needs to get it, backflips onto Gun for John Woo spinning shot, Hind D shooting at Snake, SIDE FLIP TO DODGE BULLETS!!!!!
                    Yeah, i'd say there is kind of a problem there.

MGS4 granted has interesting choreography/anime like fighting between Vamp and Raiden, but at least it appeared more grounded then when Kitamura buggered up MGS:TTT with lackluster choreography. Raiden and Vamp are enhanced soldiers, I mean, Snake dodging every bullet under the sun through l33t backflipping jumped the shark somewhat.

*/RANT*

Comment

oddly enough.. even though i'm a big metal gear fan, mgs 4 didn't excite me the way i thought it would

Comment

Dont forget Snakes backflip over the door when you are in the Metal Gear hanger XD

Comment

Snake: Otacon! Are you there?! I just got pricked with a needle full of AIDS!!
                          Otacon: Don't worry snake! Just backflip, then side flip, to dodge the AIDS!
                          Snake: Great idea!!
                          Otacon: Those are the only kind of ideas that I have...

Comment

looks like he's flying but wait.. looks like aids got his knees quarantine!

Comment

Thankfully Snake is so old that he can't bloody back flip, hip replacement might give out.

Comment

his suit though looks scary... it's still strong looking for an old man. like what if it's a muscle suit what if he has no body under there, that's why he's sick

actually i know why he's sick : / i just thought it would match up with raiden having no body too.
                                Last edited by SinValentine; 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X