No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished all four capaigns on PC. I honestly liked it more than RE5, more dynamic controls, better enviroments and inventory doesn't suck on mouse and keyboard.

I'll say one thing that I found infuriating though, your character's invicibility frame was too short or didn't exist at all. I'd kick a zombie and while the character was still recovering from the animation something would hit me, or I'd get knocked down on the ground, get up and immediatly knocked down again with no means of defense because some J'avo on the other side of the stage got a lucky shot. That really soured the experience for me.

Also I found myself asking why there was a helicopter fight in a RE game or why there was a car chase or why was I flying a jet fighter.

It's a really well made game though, Capcom did a lot of things right (QTE's aside) and I can't grasp why it got bashed by so many people, including the media, it's certainly not perfect but it's not the worst game ever. The media thing is specially weird for me, games like Mass Effect 3 and DmC, for example, gaming websites praise to high heavens and are quick to call fans who dislike them "entitled whiners" and "you don't understand the game, you dumbass" but for some reason it was okay to say RE6 sucked on all fronts and that fucking Cliffy B. could fix the series. Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, could've been better but I still found it enjoyable.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexdz View Post
      Just finished all four capaigns on PC. I honestly liked it more than RE5, more dynamic controls, better enviroments and inventory doesn't suck on mouse and keyboard.

I'll say one thing that I found infuriating though, your character's invicibility frame was too short or didn't exist at all. I'd kick a zombie and while the character was still recovering from the animation something would hit me, or I'd get knocked down on the ground, get up and immediatly knocked down again with no means of defense because some J'avo on the other side of the stage got a lucky shot. That really soured the experience for me.

Also I found myself asking why there was a helicopter fight in a RE game or why there was a car chase or why was I flying a jet fighter.

It's a really well made game though, Capcom did a lot of things right (QTE's aside) and I can't grasp why it got bashed by so many people, including the media, it's certainly not perfect but it's not the worst game ever. The media thing is specially weird for me, games like Mass Effect 3 and DmC, for example, gaming websites praise to high heavens and are quick to call fans who dislike them "entitled whiners" and "you don't understand the game, you dumbass" but for some reason it was okay to say RE6 sucked on all fronts and that fucking Cliffy B. could fix the series. Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, could've been better but I still found it enjoyable.
      So if you had to rank it alongside the other over-the-shoulder Resident Evil titles, where would it be? You say better than RE5, what about RE4 or Revelations?
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
        So if you had to rank it alongside the other over-the-shoulder Resident Evil titles, where would it be? You say better than RE5, what about RE4 or Revelations?
        Haven't played Revelations yet, so from best to worst RE4>RE6>RE5. RE5 is the worst game in the franchise I played.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexdz View Post
          Haven't played Revelations yet, so from best to worst RE4>RE6>RE5. RE5 is the worst game in the franchise I played.
          I've heard that Revelations is quite exceptional, so I imagine that my ranking would be quite similar to yours, with Revelations and RE4 struggling for first place. It's refreshing that someone here hasn't just lambasted the game, it gives me hope that I might be able to enjoy it. xD
          sigpic

Comment

• I would judge it as RER > RE4 > RE6 >>>> RE5, but then, I can't stand the fifth game in terms of progression, atmosphere, and variety.

Also, I would say that the gaming sites were on the money about Mass Effect 3, and that gamers were too obnoxious on that front. Granted, it did get them a free expansion for the ending, but that's ultimately a different debate.

As far as RE6 goes, it did get some decent reviews from some mainstream publications/sites, but the more vocal critics such as Jim Sterling tended to be, well, vocal. It's one thing to say that the game is bloated, dragged, and was full of overdone quick time events (which it was), but to call it such a blight on the series, a genre, and claim it was a whacked out attempt to market to EVERY audience because Capcom was insecure? Come on. It's far from the worst thing in the world, and I would not call it a failure, even.

Comment

• I`ve heard critics to RE6 camera problems and QTEs, fortunatelly these problems were corrected with updates. I waited for six months for the PC version and I think it was a right desicion. For those who care about graphic issues, it`s also known that PC version have better graphics and the game is now generally getting better overall score on websites.

But the game still have problems that can`t be fixed with a patch, same as RE4, RE5 (and also RER to a lesser degree), but if I have to tell RE6 own problems I would say: Abusse of delirious and unrealistic action, abusse of vehicle crashes and vehicle chases, some boring/monotonous segments on specific chapters in all campaigns, some forced and pointless crossovers, bad overall narrative and storytelling, and lack of weapon variety and upgrade system, wich added replayability value to the last titles, replaced with a bad designed skill system wich consists of a few very useful and a majority of completelly useless skills.
              Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 04-20-2013, 05:10 PM.
              The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

• Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                It's one thing to say that the game is bloated, dragged, and was full of overdone quick time events (which it was), but to call it such a blight on the series, a genre, and claim it was a whacked out attempt to market to EVERY audience because Capcom was insecure? Come on. It's far from the worst thing in the world, and I would not call it a failure, even.
                I think he was right, I didnt finish the game, hell I only got about 5 hrs of play time between Chris and Leon, but it felt like it was trying to be everything but Resident Evil.

I watched friends beat Leons Scenario and was cringing at how awful the Simmons boss fights were, much Less Simmons Death cutscene which made me feel sick from the stupidity behind it.

The game was the worst in the series in my opinion. Even with the small things I liked, like the sprint feature, option to smash a box/crate without drawing a weapon, the melee attack button and the quick shot...It was awful to play.

I detested the level design in Chris's first chapter when he's in China rescuing hostages and how there was no exploration allowed. Just 1 linear path that looped around the buildings 3 floors while J'avo carried off hostages.

Leons campaign felt like a chore to play through which was really a surprise because everyone here said it was the best of the 3 scenarios...but the level design killed it as well as the new inventory system...which I really detested. Its not just all the confusing button combinations to use an herb...its that you start off the scenario with like what...15 guns?

I mean really?Maybe I accidentally played with the settings but starting off with 3 types of pistols and like 12 rifles AND a knife(which no longer has a quick draw feature) but this killed any real reason to continue playing the game any further.

I mean I didn't get to find any weapons or even really explore because of the games lousy design and instead they just give you everything but the keys at the beginning...It was incredibly underwhelming mess that felt like a well polished fan game inspired by better games, but not inspired by Resident Evil itself.

And lets not talk about Jake, the shitty QTE's, or Simmons and Carla being the lamest villains of the series thus far.
                Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-21-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post

Leons campaign felt like a chore to play through which was really a surprise because everyone here said it was the best of the 3 scenarios...but the level design killed it as well as the new inventory system...which I really detested. Its not just all the confusing button combinations to use an herb...its that you start off the scenario with like what...15 guns?

I mean really?Maybe I accidentally played with the settings but starting off with 3 types of pistols and like 12 rifles AND a knife(which no longer has a quick draw feature) but this killed any real reason to continue playing the game any further.

I mean I didn't get to find any weapons or even really explore because of the games lousy design and instead they just give you everything but the keys at the beginning...
                  A Couple of Things:

1. It's just Right Bumper and X to quickly combine herbs on 360. You can do it manually as well, which takes barely any longer than it does to combine rounds in RE5's shittier inventory.

2. Something's wrong with your game, because all you should have at the start of Leon's scenario is

If Leon: Wing Shooter and knife
                  If Helena: Hydra and Picador

You get a shotgun about halfway through chapter 1, a sniper rifle in chapter 2, an assault rifle in chapter 3, a magnum in chapter 4. That's one weapon per chapter, spread evenly throughout. You can even miss the assault rifle if you don't check the coffins in the catacombs (though I'm sure, like many of the other weapons, it turns up again later in the level or automatically in your inventory at the start of the next level).

That's not even close to 12 weapons.

There are a lot of valid complaints about RE6 (perhaps most prominent being that it lacked a proper tutorial) but this is not one of them.
                  A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

• Y-A-A-A-A-A-B on Xbox pad opens the inventory, mixes your herbs (giving priority to red herbs) and closes the inventory with no mixing animation, it`s very easy to do and takes less time than reloading some weapons.

The problem I find with weapons is that they are all stick to each campaign or character, and there is no way to choose which weapons to have for different chapters like you can do in RER and RE5. RE6 should have had an option for discard weapons, some people say that you can simply ignore the weapons you dislike or don`t need and not use them, but the problem is that once you have those weapons in your inventory you start to get random ammo for those and lose ammo for weapons you do need.
                    Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 04-22-2013, 12:07 AM.
                    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Working...
                    X