No announcement yet.

The MERCENARIES Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I don't believe the hatred for RE5 Mercs.

RE4 Mercs has 5 characters and 4 total maps.

RE5 Mercs has 4 characters (10 total variations) and 8 maps. Including the ability to play cooperatively. Double the maps and one less character.

Yet by the looks of it, everyone can't stop dissing RE5 Mercs.

Personally, I don't need to see Ada or especially Leon again as I just saw them in RE4, and I can go load up that game if I want to play as them. HUNK would be nice, but throwing him in EVERY game kind of ruins his mystique (what he has left of it). As for Barry/Rebecca/Billy/Sherry/etc etc...keep dreaming.
    Last edited by Jill's Boob; 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

i don't like RE5 mercs cause it's just gameplay with no story, and well RE5's gameplay is crap IMO. hell i still haven't been bothered to complete my second play through.

but i do want to unlock Jill, so one day im gonna have to play Ship Deck.

Comment

Wow, I just used STARS Wesker and blasted a majini at close-range with the Hydra. The majini pretty much was vaporized. I mean, his body disappeared and only blood was sent flying through the air.

IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Comment

Me and a friend are pretty beastly at Mercs (Xbox Live). We got SS rankings on every stage (I use the two Jills and he uses the Weskers or Tribal Sheva. Our highest score is 386,000 on Pubic Assembly, and (GrimmJob and SirSharpshooter) we're the highest ranked American players on the Mines in Duo play (Xbox Live leaderboards btw). I think overall we're around the top 50 or so, don't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
            Man, I don't believe the hatred for RE5 Mercs.

RE4 Mercs has 5 characters and 4 total maps.

RE5 Mercs has 4 characters (10 total variations) and 8 maps. Including the ability to play cooperatively. Double the maps and one less character.

Yet by the looks of it, everyone can't stop dissing RE5 Mercs.

Personally, I don't need to see Ada or especially Leon again as I just saw them in RE4, and I can go load up that game if I want to play as them. HUNK would be nice, but throwing him in EVERY game kind of ruins his mystique (what he has left of it). As for Barry/Rebecca/Billy/Sherry/etc etc...keep dreaming.
            I certainly don't hate RE5 Mercs but in comparing it to RE4 Mercs:
            RE4 invented the game. RE5 has nicer graphics and co-op but it hasn't really brought anything else new to the table. The extra costumes are nice (but it's still one less character) and having 8 maps is an improvement.
            Besides Leon and Ada, the other characters in RE4 Mercs were a big surprise. Wesker, HUNK and Krauser!!! I was blown away. While the 4 characters in RE5 Mercs were all very predictable.
            Krauser's ability to smash anything and everything to bits with his mutated arm, was a radical change in gameplay. Using him was like 'Pay Back Time!'. Sure, Wesker has a similar move but it's not as powerful or cool. I suspect this may be because of the VS modes they will have. Like a fighting game, the characters will need to be 'balanced' so that nobody has a big advantage...

RE5 Mercs is cool but I guess I was hoping for more. A lot more characters from previous games and some big surprises with some maps from previous locations in the series, EG: like many of us suggested, a Raccoon City map complete with zombies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
              i don't like RE5 mercs cause it's just gameplay with no story
              But...so was the one in four. And any plot we've had in a Mercs type mini game has been "Get here in X amount of time". I don't know how relevant a criticism that is hen past versions have had little to no story at all.

Comment

Speaking of Mercenaries, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rosetta Mist who helped me out a lot with unlocking some of the characters in Mercenaries. The rest I worked with Dot50Cal on, like S.T.A.R.S. Chris, S.T.A.R.S. Wesker and both of the Jill variants.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                  i don't like RE5 mercs cause it's just gameplay with no story
                  Huh. The basic "story" in Mercs is that you are a character stranded in a hostile location who must eradicate threats to your life (from infected foes) while you make your "last escape" via a helicopter.

Resembles RE3 quite a bit. In fact, when you consider the mini-bosses stalking you throughout the Mercs levels, it feels similar to Nemesis in RE3.

But yeah, you're right - I also felt that RE3 was essentially gameplay with no story.
                  Last edited by Jill's Boob; 03-22-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                    Huh. The basic "story" in Mercs is that you are a character stranded in a hostile location who must eradicate threats to your life (from infected foes) while you make your "last escape" via a helicopter.

Resembles RE3 quite a bit. In fact, when you consider the mini-bosses stalking you throughout the Mercs levels, it feels similar to Nemesis in RE3.

But yeah, you're right - I also felt that RE3 was essentially gameplay with no story.
                    hence it is called a mini game...

Comment

• RE2 was the first game to use a BOW character that followed you around everywhere (it had two in the form of William Birkin and the Mr. X tyrant). Nemesis in RE3 was just an extension of this. Mercs sure has changed over each game, hasn't it? From the Mercs mode in RE3, which required a selcted character to rush to a specific location, whilst racking up the kill count, was definitely challenging. Now it's just *kill* *kill* *kill* "to get a nice BONAH mon!"

And speaking of awesome DLC for Mercs, how about adding in new enemies to fight? Who else would like to fight a fan favourite B.O.W like Nemesis or Birkin set in a desolated Raccoon City area? Not going to happen, but still, can keep dreaming I guess.
                      Last edited by Henry Spencer; 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                        RE4 invented the game.
                        Mercs is just a progression of the minigames from RE2, RE3, and RECV. While each subsequent game implemented variations on the mini-game content, there has always been some sort of minor changes to the "battle mode" from RE2 that could most likely be attributed with "inventing the game.".

I suspect this may be because of the VS modes they will have. Like a fighting game, the characters will need to be 'balanced' so that nobody has a big advantage...
                        Exactly.

And like you, I'd have liked some retro settings (Spencer Mansion, RPD, etc.) but we didn't get them. Bashing the game because it didn't meet all of our expectations is slightly unfair. Not saying you are wrong for being disappointed, but a product never meets everyone's expectations.
                        Last edited by Jill's Boob; 03-22-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• My friend and I just miss 100,000. We've unlocked the stages and characters, but that's about it in terms of our "skills." Meh, I wonder how much I'll get to play it online. I'm enjoying this iteration of the RE mercenaries, it's done exceptionally well with the minibosses. As preoccupied as I was, it was quite exciting to see the lickers spawn and advance.

Comment

• i have just seen the highest score and its like 432,000!!! How the hell do you come up with that much points? This guy must be a friggin computer.

Comment

• The only way to achieve that I believe is to make a non stop combo from the beggining.
                              Also it is said " by the """pros""" ( I havenĀ“t made more than 120,000 points ( yet <.<'' ) that if you beat 150 enemies, the game finishes and you get the extra time you had in score

Comment

• i got two SS's, with Jill and Chris in Public Assembly, with two different strangers! it's nice whenever you finally encounter a good player online.

Comment

Working...
                                X